Wednesday, July 26, 2017

"Finish Well" July 26 Readings: Job 1-2, Acts 20, Psalm 88:4–10, Proverbs 18:16–18



Today's Readings - Job 1-2, Acts 20, Psalm 88:4–10, Proverbs 18:16–18


Devotional 

I have competed in sports all of my life, but there is nothing like the thrill of crossing the finish line of a marathon. I've finished dead last in a marathon. Absolutely true. Both words. I was last and I was nearly dead. I did one a few years back in the desert mountains of White Sands, NM, that took me over 11 hours. But crossing the line makes all the pain, all the suffering, all the hard work worth it. There is nothing like finishing a marathon. The thrill of victory and the agony of de-feet.

But I've also given up, quit. One time, 22 miles into a marathon, with only 4 miles to go, I gave up and wimped out - and I've regretted it ever since. Had I walked I would have probably had my best time ever, but I quit and I still regret it.

Paul was very concerned about finishing the race God had set before him. In Acts 20:24, he foreshadows his declarations in 2 Timothy 4, saying to the elders of Ephesus,
But I consider my life of no value to myself; my purpose is to finish my course and the ministry I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of God’s grace.
His life was not about himself, but about running the race to the very end and completing the ministry God had laid before him. We remember what he said in 2 Timothy 4, that he actually did finish the race and keep the faith and that he expected a reward, a crown, when his life ended (as it was about to). 

As we read the stories of Israel's kings, we see so many who started well, with great promise and wonderful potential, but they fell into sin and squandered the opportunity God had given them. Paul did not want to be a failure but was determined, even at the point of death, to finish the race. If it meant suffering, or ostracism, or rejection, or hatred, or martyrdom, he would devote himself to living for and testifying to the grace of Christ to the very end. 

Life can be hard but Jesus is worth it.
Father, help me to finish well the race you have set before me. 

Think and Pray


Are you feeling like giving up?
Ask God for the strength to keep putting one foot in front of the other, to continue in Christ.
Never give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment