Tuesday, July 25, 2017

"In the Darkness" July 25 Readings: Esther 9-10, Acts 19:21–41, Psalm 88:1–3, Proverbs 18:14–15



Today's Readings - Esther 9-10, Acts 19:21–41, Psalm 88:1–3, Proverbs 18:14–15


Devotional 


The secret we pastors talk about with one another but seldom share with our people is how often we struggle with discouragement, despair, and even depression - being trapped in the "dark night of the soul." Marty Duren uses Winston Churchill's descriptive phrase and speaks of "when the black dog howls." Leaders and preachers are not the only ones who suffer this. We all do - those times when the whole world seems to be crashing down around you, when nothing makes sense, when the joy of life is gone. There are few who do not walk through that valley from time to time.

Unfortunately, the church is too often no refuge during these dark nights. Voices tell us that if we just loved God, read the Bible, understood the gospel, or were more like them, our gloom would lift and all would be peaches and cream. There is enormous pressure in the fellowship of the saints to put on a happy face, deny your pain, and act the part of the joyous saint at all times, or feel condemnation.

So what ought we to do when the black dog howls? To whom do you turn? How do you find the strength to go through the valley and find solid footing on the other side?

Of course, the easy answer for anyone who believes in Christ is, well, Christ. It is by finding refuge in the harbor of our Savior's love that we find solace, comfort, strength, and hope when the lights have gone out all around us. That is truth, not a cliche. Jesus is the answer. In my darkest moments, it is the "Light of the World" who has been the light of my soul. What people forget is that turning to Christ is often not an instantaneous fix but a process of persistence, holding on when you feel like giving up.

But there is more to it than that. In Proverbs 18:14, there is a tidbit of wisdom that we need to remember, that I must remember.
A person’s spirit can endure sickness,
but who can survive a broken spirit?

"A person's spirit will endure sickness."  What is Solomon telling us? Human beings have a remarkable ability to endure hardship and trial. I remember visiting a lady yesterday whose life span was measured in days, but her spirit was strong. How? She knew the Lord, of course, but there was something else. She had a husband beside her who loved her and had walked with her every step of the way through this terrible illness.

It is when our spirit is crushed that we lose our ability to hold up. I think of the times my spirit has been crushed, when I've walked through the "valley of the shadow of death" and there is one common denominator. In addition to often failing to seek the comfort and strength of Christ as I should, I've felt alone. Isolated. I'm on an island all by myself! You know what I mean, right?

Every one of us is going to walk the valley, to come to that moment of the dark night of the soul when everything is wrong and life hurts. That's a given. When that happens, first and foremost we need to seek the Savior, the One who gave himself for us on the cross, who loves us with an infinite and everlasting love.

But we also need each other. We need to be encouraged. When I feel like there is someone walking with me on the road, my spirit is not crushed. I am strengthened both by the work of Christ and by the fellowship of the saints.

So, here's our lesson for the day. If I need that, I need to be that! I need to be an encourager, a helper, a strengthener! I need to turn people toward Christ, but I also need to be a shoulder people can lean on and cry on when they need. I must be the agent of Christ to comfort those in need.
What I need when I am hurting I need to be to those who hurt today!
What does "encourage" mean? Simply, it means to put courage into someone's life, to help them and give them strength! In this hurting, horrible, harsh world, let us be encouragers, let us be spirit-lifters, courage-givers, those who help the hurting find hope!
Father, may I be a man of encouragement and grace, who seeks to lift the spirits of those around me. May people find courage to face life because of what you are doing in and through me. 

Think and Pray


Have you heard the howling of the black dog? How did God bring you through that? Was there a person or persons who helped you through it?
Commit yourself to being an encouragement to the weak, one who lifts up those who have fallenand helps discouraged.





No comments:

Post a Comment