Sunday, June 28, 2020

In the Presence of God - Himalayan Heights – June 28 Readings: Psalm 23:6 – Goodness and Mercy


Psalm 23: The Lord Is My Shepherd


All Scripture is God-breathed and useful, but there are some Scriptures that we can consider the Himalayan mountaintops of the Bible. In the next few months, we will be looking at a series of great texts that inspire and move us - the "Himalayan Heights" of God's Word.

Today's Reading:  Psalm 23, focus on verse 6

David was a shepherd in his early years. In this great song of praise, David considers God as his shepherd and reflects on what that means. Each verse is a gem.

Each day this week, meditate on this psalm. The highlighted potion will be our focus verse.


1  The Lord is my shepherd;
I have what I need.
2 He lets me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside quiet waters.
3 He renews my life;
he leads me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even when I go through the darkest valley,
I fear no danger,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
as long as I live.

Through the Bible Readings: 2 Chronicles 13-14, Acts 4:1–22, Psalm 78:12–18, Proverbs16:7–9

If you wish to read through the Bible in a year, follow these readings. 

Devotional: Dwelling in God's Presence    


It is easy to approach familiar scriptures with our assumptions and miss the actual point of what they are saying. Psalm 23:6 is a case-in-point there. We assume that it promises two things. First, it promises a life filled with good things, and second, an eternity in heaven's glory. The first is true, if you understand good things properly and the second, while true, is not really the point David is making. Permit me to explain.

He says that "goodness and mercy" or "goodness and faithful love" will follow him all the days of his life. David would never claim that he expected a life of ease, free from enemies, opposition, or hardships. He had people trying to kill him, betray him, and usurp him all of his life. When he spoke of goodness, he wasn't thinking of an easy life, but the experience of God's goodness and faithful love day by day.

We have promises from God that this world will hate us, that it will oppose us, even that it will, at times, persecute us. Sorry, I didn't mean to start your day with depressing words, but that is what God's word says. Repeatedly. You do, however, have the promise that regardless of life's circumstances or what Satan throws at you, God is for you and his goodness and faithful love will pursue you. He will never leave you, even in the darkest night. Hold on to that!

David also said that he would dwell in God's house forever. That is almost universally taken as an expectation that he would go to heaven and dwell there forever and ever. Certainly, David is with God today and will be with him forever. But when he spoke of God's house, he wasn't thinking of his eternal home, but of the tabernacle, the dwelling of God here on earth. He was declaring that despite whatever trials he had gone through, he was going to return to God's house and dwell in his presence, worship him, give him offerings, and fellowship with him. This was his declaration of his intent to walk with God every day of his life.

We have a great hope awaiting us one day, that when this world's sufferings are over, we will see Jesus face to face. Heaven is real and it is our ultimate hope. But our commitment today should be much more than just getting to heaven one day. It should be walking daily in the fullness of the Spirit and dwelling in the presence of God - every day of our lives.

Father, help me to know your goodness and faithfulness every day and to walk in your presence, no matter what is going on in this world. 

Think and Pray:

Are you focusing your life on the goodness and faithfulness of God, or are you panicking over the things of this world?
Are you dwelling daily in God's presence? 




No comments:

Post a Comment