Saturday, June 27, 2020

Before My Enemies - Himalayan Heights – June 27 Readings: Psalm 23:5 – God’s Table


Psalm 23: The Lord Is My Shepherd


All Scripture is God-breathed and useful, but there are some Scriptures that we can consider the Himalayan mountaintops of the Bible. In the next few months, we will be looking at a series of great texts that inspire and move us - the "Himalayan Heights" of God's Word.

Today's Reading:  Psalm 23, focus on verse 5

David was a shepherd in his early years. In this great song of praise, David considers God as his shepherd and reflects on what that means. Each verse is a gem.

Each day this week, meditate on this psalm. The highlighted potion will be our focus verse.


1  The Lord is my shepherd;
I have what I need.
2 He lets me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside quiet waters.
3 He renews my life;
he leads me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even when I go through the darkest valley,
I fear no danger,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
as long as I live.

Through the Bible Readings: 2 Chronicles 11-12, Acts 3, Psalm 78:5–11, Proverbs 16:5–6

If you wish to read through the Bible in a year, follow these readings. 

Devotional:   Before My Enemies  


When David spoke of enemies, he was not making anything up. From the wild animals of his youth, attacking his sheep, to jealous King Saul, to schemers and betrayers, to is own sons, David was always under attack from those who sought his demise. It was a rare day when he did not have an enemy attacking him.

Over and over again, God demonstrated the reality of Psalm 23:5 to him. God provided for him bountifully regardless of his enemies. The most powerful man in Israel sought David's death, but King Saul could not find him. Twice, he stumbled into David's clutches. Throughout all of it, God worked to place David on the throne of Israel. His son Absalom later led a rebellion and David had to flee for his life. But God worked to restore David's throne.

Verse 5 is a shift in this Psalm, in which David switches metaphors. Having been talking about shepherds and sheep until this point, he suddenly begins focusing on the idea of entering the house of God. This is not the eternal house of God, but his Temple, his presence.

The picture in verse 5, is of God welcoming us into his house so that we can commune with him and worship him. He lays out three blessings that come to us when we are in God's presence. First, we dine in the presence of our enemies. When we walk with God, our enemies cannot stop the blessings of God in our lives. He provides and blesses and uplifts in spite of what they do. Second, he anoints our heads with oil. This refers to showing hospitality. When someone entered a home, they would be refreshed by being anointed. In Middle Eastern (and African) cultures, drinking beverages together is a key aspect of friendship and fellowship. In Africa, we sit together and drink a strong form of tea called ataya. We sit and drink ataya and talk and laugh - some of my favorite moments during my trips. God fills our cups to overflowing and we fellowship with him. Drinking ataya takes time, and so does coming into the presence of God.

Think about it, my friend. You are welcomed into God's presence through Christ. God anoints you with his refreshing Spirit and he fellowships with you, filling your cup! You have the right to enter the "house of God" (not the church building, but his presence) and have fellowship with him - until your cup runs over!

Thank you, Father, for welcoming me into your glorious presence. You sustain me before my enemies, you anoint my head with oil and you fill my cup to overflowing as we fellowship. 

Think and Pray:

Do you take the time to regularly fellowship with God?
Do you enter God's presence so that he anoints you with his refreshing grace and fills you to overflowing?  




No comments:

Post a Comment