Tuesday, January 28, 2020

In the House of the Lord - January 28 Readings: Psalm 27


We are going to "enter the year with praise." Our January readings and devotionals will all focus on the goodness and grace of God. Get a journal or notebook to write down your thoughts every day. Our passages are shorter - please don't rush through them. Take time to meditate and consider why God is worthy of your praise.

Enter 2020 with the praise of God on your lips!

Today's Praise Passage:  Psalm 27


The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom should I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
whom should I dread?
2 When evildoers came against me to devour my flesh,
my foes and my enemies stumbled and fell.
3 Though an army deploys against me,
my heart will not be afraid;
though a war breaks out against me,
I will still be confident.
 4 I have asked one thing from the Lord;
it is what I desire:
to dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
gazing on the beauty of the Lord
and seeking him in his temple.
5 For he will conceal me in his shelter
in the day of adversity;
he will hide me under the cover of his tent;
he will set me high on a rock.
6 Then my head will be high
above my enemies around me;
I will offer sacrifices in his tent with shouts of joy.
I will sing and make music to the Lord.
 7 Lord, hear my voice when I call;
be gracious to me and answer me.
8 My heart says this about you:
“Seek his face.”
Lord, I will seek your face.
9 Do not hide your face from me;
do not turn your servant away in anger.
You have been my helper;
do not leave me or abandon me,
God of my salvation.
10 Even if my father and mother abandon me,
the Lord cares for me.
 11 Because of my adversaries,
show me your way, Lord,
and lead me on a level path.
12 Do not give me over to the will of my foes,
for false witnesses rise up against me,
breathing violence.
 13 I am certain that I will see the Lord’s goodness
in the land of the living.
14 Wait for the Lord;
be strong, and let your heart be courageous.
Wait for the Lord.


Through the Bible Reading: Exodus 8-9, Matthew 18, Psalm 18:1-4, Proverbs 3:27-29 

Some of our readers want a little more "meaty" devotional, so I am including a link to the through Through the Bible in One Year readings we did last year. 

Devotional: In the House of the Lord


I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever...

We take that verse in the 23rd Psalm as a promise of life eternal, in heaven, in the presence of our Lord. We have many verses that make that promise but that is not one.

In Psalm 27:4 David makes "one request" of the Lord, that he might dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of his life. The House of the Lord to which the Psalmist refers in both these verses is not the eternal dwelling of God, but the tabernacle, later the Temple, the place where God's earthly presence dwelt. When one of God's people wanted to worship, they went to the Lord's house, made sacrifices, made their requests, and worshiped God.

David's deepest longing was not for eternal heaven but for the daily experience of the presence of God in his life. He knew that God was his light and salvation, the stronghold of his life. He knew that God would take care of him and watch over him in spite of all the terrors that beset him day by day. He need fear no one and dread nothing when he was dwelling in the presence of the Mighty God. Evildoers would stumble and fall but he would be safe in the arms of the Savior.

Seek his face, says verse 8. This is another metaphor for the presence of God. Our prayers are often geared toward the experience of the mighty hand of God. "Father, do this for me." "Father, do that for me." It is right and good that we ask God for his powerful hand to act in our lives. But David knew what is best. Seek God's face. Seek his presence. The power of God accompanies the presence of God. 

This Psalm is filled with character qualities of God and descriptions of his gracious acts on behalf of his people. The key to all of them is seeking to dwell in the presence of the Lord, to enter the "house of the Lord" on a daily basis. You do not have to enter a building to worship God, but simply seek him in prayer and in the word.

When you study God's word, when you pray, when you sing, when you worship - what is your goal? Are you seeking what you can get from God? Are you trying to invoke the hand of God on your behalf? Or are you seeking presence of God? Are you entering the "house of the Lord" to worship him in spirit and truth?

Father, help me to seek you and to worship you, to enter your presence daily. May my times with you not simply be religious exercises or limited to seeking your help, but may I seek you!

Think and Pray:

Meditate on this passage and write down:

1. The character qualities of God for which you can praise him. 
2. The gracious acts of God for which you can give thanks to him. 

When you read your Bible and pray, what is your motive? Are you seeking the hand of God or the face of God?
Do you enter the presence of God in worship and praise or do you simply complete a religious duty? 


No comments:

Post a Comment