Monday, January 27, 2020

God's Perfect Word - January 27 Readings: Psalm 119:1-24


We are going to "enter the year with praise." Our January readings and devotionals will all focus on the goodness and grace of God. Get a journal or notebook to write down your thoughts every day. Our passages are shorter - please don't rush through them. Take time to meditate and consider why God is worthy of your praise.

Enter 2020 with the praise of God on your lips!

Today's Praise Passage:  Psalm 119:1-24


א Aleph
1 How happy are those whose way is blameless,
who walk according to the Lord’s instruction!
2 Happy are those who keep his decrees
and seek him with all their heart.
3 They do nothing wrong;
they walk in his ways.
4 You have commanded that your precepts
be diligently kept.
5 If only my ways were committed
to keeping your statutes!
6 Then I would not be ashamed
when I think about all your commands.
7 I will praise you with an upright heart
when I learn your righteous judgments.
8 I will keep your statutes;
never abandon me.

ב Beth
9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
By keeping your word.
10 I have sought you with all my heart;
don’t let me wander from your commands.
11 I have treasured your word in my heart
so that I may not sin against you.
12 Lord, may you be blessed;
teach me your statutes.
13 With my lips I proclaim
all the judgments from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in the way revealed by your decrees
as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on your precepts
and think about your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.

ג Gimel
17 Deal generously with your servant
so that I might live;
then I will keep your word.
18 Open my eyes so that I may contemplate
wondrous things from your instruction.
19 I am a resident alien on earth;
do not hide your commands from me.
20 I am continually overcome
with longing for your judgments.
21 You rebuke the arrogant,
the ones under a curse,
who wander from your commands.
22 Take insult and contempt away from me,
for I have kept your decrees.
23 Though princes sit together speaking against me,
your servant will think about your statutes;
24 your decrees are my delight
and my counselors.


Through the Bible Reading: Exodus 6–7, Matthew 17:14–27, Psalm 17:7–15, Proverbs3:25-26

Some of our readers want a little more "meaty" devotional, so I am including a link to the through Through the Bible in One Year readings we did last year. 

Devotional: God's Perfect Word 


It is the answer to a commonly asked Bible trivia question: What is the longest chapter of the Bible? If you attended the Sunday Schools or VBSes that I did, you know the answer - Psalm 119. It is 176 verses long. It is very close to the center of the Bible. It is a well-known and wonderful chapter.

But it is much more than the answer to a trivia question!

It is one of the most carefully constructed chapters of scripture. It is an acrostic poem. Have you ever noticed that it is divided up into 22 sections of 8 verses each and that each of those sections has a strange word at the beginning? Our reading today, the first three sections, starts with "Aleph, Beth, and Gimel," the first three letters in the Hebrew alphabet. Each of the 8 verses in the sections begins with the successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet.

But there is only one topic. Each of the 22 sections, each of the 176 verses; all of them focus on the same thing - the power and glory of the Word of God. In the days this Psalm was written, the focus was on the Law of God - specifically the Books of Moses, but generally referring to all of the Old Testament writings. The principles here apply to all of scripture, even those that were written a thousand years later.

It is a wonderful and powerful Bible you are reading. It is a light to our feet. When we hide it in our hearts, it helps us not to sin. It is the food that feeds our souls. The longest chapter of the Word is an ode the awesome power of God's word to accomplish God's purposes in God's people.

The first two verses of the psalm set the theme for the entire chapter. While "happy" is a common translation, I prefer the more traditional "blessed." It speaks to our standing under the favor and blessing of God - a result of obedience to God's word.
How happy are those whose way is blameless,
who walk according to the Lord’s instruction!
 Happy are those who keep his decrees
and seek him with all their heart.
God's Word is not just a storybook, a good read meant to entertain us. It is the story of God's plan of redemption and his call to us to repentance, faith and to a life lived under the Lordship of Jesus Christ. The Word of God is meant to be obeyed, and it is those who learn and live by all that is revealed in the Word of God who experience God's blessings.

Praise God for his amazing word and thank him for how it has lighted your path and helped you to walk pure before the Lord.

Father, may your word be my law! Thank you for Jesus who is revealed there and the life that he gives. May I walk in obedience to every word. 

Think and Pray:

Meditate on this passage and write down:

1. The character qualities of God for which you can praise him. 
2. The gracious acts of God for which you can give thanks to him. 

Do you actively seek to know the word of God?
Do you walk in obedience to all that it teaches? 


No comments:

Post a Comment