Friday, June 15, 2018

"Restored" June 15 Readings: Ezekiel 31-36


Today's Reading - Ezekiel 31-36


Background


Today's reading finishes the second major section of Ezekiel, the judgment on the nations, which concludes at the end of chapter 32. The rest of the book, chapters 33-48, focus primarily on God's restoration of the nation.

Devotional - Restored


One of the most amazing truths of God's word is that there is still a future for the nation Israel. This is a controversial teaching among students of God's word - Amillennialists and certain other eschatological views challenge this. But every text that speaks of the end focuses on the nation of Israel.

Why is that so amazing? Because if you look at the history of Israel in the Bible it is anything but a shining example of fidelity and godliness. They were an idolatrous and disobedient people far more than they were walking with God. They gave God every reason to destroy them, and he just about did. The destruction under Nebuchadnezzar came very close to being total and eternal.

But God preserved a remnant from which he rebuilt the nation. When Israel was scattered by the Romans he preserved a remnant. When Hitler attempted his final solution, God preserved them and brought them back to the land. And one day, the people of God will be restored. (No, the nation that exists today is not the restored Israel - that nation will love the Messiah who died for them.)

None of this happened because of Israel's merit. They were not chosen because they were special. The key is God's love and faithfulness, not their merit or righteousness.

In Ezekiel 33-36, we read of God's work of restoration. As you read that, note what is happening. God is at work. "I will restore you..." This is not Israel pulling itself up by its bootstraps but God doing a work of grace. God would shepherd the nation whose shepherds had been unfaithful.  In spite of their continuing unfaithfulness, he would restore their land and their people.

Thank God. When I look back on over 5 decades as a Christian, I think, "I should have done a lot better." There's been so many failures, so much drifting, so many times I let the Savior down. But he has been faithful to me, just as he was and will be to Israel. He doesn't quit on me any more than he quit on the nation he chose. God is good. So good.

Father, I thank you for your faithfulness and your restoring grace. When I drift, you draw me back. When I fall, you lift me up. When I am weak, you are my strength. Thank you for being all I need. 

Think and Pray


Thank God today for his unfailing love and faithfulness.
Meditate on that and consider what your proper response is.

No comments:

Post a Comment