Thursday, June 14, 2018

"Downfall of Pride" June 14 Readings: Ezekiel 25-30


Today's Reading - Ezekiel 25-30


Background


We turn to the second section of Ezekiel today, in which Ezekiel prophesies against the nations.

Devotional - Downfall of Pride


In Ezekiel 28:1-10, God speaks to the earthly ruler of Tyre, describing his wealth and splendor, but also his vainglory and pride. Because of all he possessed, he lost his heart to arrogance and self-exaltation. God will bring them "down to the pit" (28:8), a prophecy that came true in the violent destruction of the nation.

In verse 11, the prophet focuses his attention on another ruler, this time the "king" of Tyre. It's two different prophecies and seem to be directed at two different people. The second prophecy, in Ezekiel 28:11-19, is focused on the true power behind the throne of Tyre, Satan himself. The earthly ruler of Tyre was simply mimicking the heart and behavior of the spiritual ruler.
You were the seal of perfection,full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.You were in Eden, the garden of God. Every kind of precious stone covered you. 28:12-13 
Satan was created as a being of wisdom and beauty in the garden of God, covered in glory. The mythology of Satan as a grotesque being with red skin, horns and a pitchfork is nonsense. He was created in beauty - magnificent, astounding, awe-inspiring. He dwelled in the presence of God until something unthinkable happened. 
You were on the holy mountain of God; you walked among the fiery stones.From the day you were created you were blameless in your ways until wickedness was found in you. 28:14-15
Evil was found in him. How? That is the question that millions have asked and no one has answered. Why would God allow such a thing to happen? How did a being created in perfection fall into sin? These are questions without answers, but the fact remains - he fell. We learn from verse 17 that it was pride in his own beauty that was at the root of sin. 

The effect was devastating, though. 
So I threw you down to the earth;
I made you a spectacle before kings. 

He was cast out of heaven because of his sin, banished from the blessings of God's presence and love.

There is a lesson to be learned from the fall of Satan. I was never perfect, nor possessed of glorious beauty of Satan before the fall. But when I lift myself up in pride as he did, I will offend God as he did. Humility is the path to God's blessing, but pride brings God's discipline. If I wish to live in God's blessing and experience the nearness of God day by day, I must follow the command to, "humble myself in the sight of the Lord."

Father, I bow before you. I hate my pride, my self-centeredness. Help me to keep my heart lowly before you. 

Think and Pray


Does pride have a hold on your heart?
Humble yourself before God.

No comments:

Post a Comment