Sunday, August 13, 2017

"You Can't Handle God's Job" August 13 Readings: Job 37-38, Romans 4, Psalm 94:6–12, Proverbs 20:9–10



Today's Readings -  Job 37-38, Romans 4, Psalm 94:6–12, Proverbs 20:9–10


Devotional 


We live in a seriously messed up world. Sin. Perversion. Racism. A justice system that is often a travesty. War and terrorism. It is a sad, sick, sorrowful world that our sin and rebellion against God has created.

And in the middle of this, many ask the question, "Where is God?" Why does he allow this to happen? Why does he permit that injustice? This tragedy? Why do the evil prosper and the righteous suffer? This world defies explanation.

But sometimes there is an even more personal question we ask. "Where were you, God, when I needed you?" Why did you stop this? Why did you let that happen? We know that God is both sovereign and good, but our circumstances often make it appear impossible for both to be true.

These were the kinds of questions Job was asking throughout his story. After God allowed Satan to take away everything precious in Job's life, he was confused. Why did God let this happen? His friends chimed in and told him it was karma, his own fault. What goes around comes around. Job got increasingly angry at them, and life, and even God, as he protested that view. He had done nothing that would necessitate God stepping in with such extreme judgment. In the middle of their argument, Elihu showed up and proclaimed the truth of God's glory, justice and goodness. He did not try to explain all that God had done, but he did defend the righteousness of God. It helped - the proclamation of truth is always the beginning of healing.

But it is chapter 38 when the real healing begins. That is when God stepped in. God spoke directly to Job and the entire situation changed. It is when we have a direct encounter with God that our lives begin to change. This encounter continues in tomorrow's reading (chapters 39-40) and even into the next day in chapter 41.

What is interesting is that God makes no attempt to explain himself. He has listened as Job has challenged his goodness and his justice. Now, he says, the tables are turned and he is going to ask the questions.
Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?Dress for action like a man; I will question you, and you make it known to me.

His message is simple. He questions Job. Can you create? Can you manage creation? Do you know what is going on in this world at all times? What is God saying? He is reminding Job that there is a God and Job isn't him. God has a strength and power we cannot understand.


God is not bullying Job, saying, "I'm bigger than you. Shut up and do as I say." No, God is reminding Job that he is big and strong and powerful, that he knows what Job does not know and can do what Job never could. His message to Job is simple:
I am God. Trust me. I know what I'm doing even when you don't understand my works. 
In chapter 40, he challenges Job, in verses 7-9.
“Dress for action like a man;
    I will question you, and you make it known to me.
Will you even put me in the wrong?
    Will you condemn me that you may be in the right?
Have you an arm like God,
    and can you thunder with a voice like his?

Do not demand to be God if you can't handle the job. And you can't handle the job! This world would be an utter mess if I were in charge. God is God. My job is not to tell him what to do or how to do it. My job is to submit to him, serve him, glorify him and seek him. 

That was the message of God to Job. Job, you can't see it, you don't understand it, but I'm still on the throne. I've got it under control. I'm handling it! I will glorify myself and produce your ultimate spiritual good through this. Just trust me. Don't try to figure out my sovereign plan, just trust me. Don't tell me what to do, just trust me. Don't question my justice, just trust me. 

Father, help me to trust you always, even when I do not understand your actions. 

Think and Pray


Do you insist on understanding everything God is doing, or are you willing to trust him, even when you cannot see what is happening?
We must walk by faith even when our sight fails us.



No comments:

Post a Comment