Saturday, August 12, 2017

"By Faith Alone" August 12 Readings: Job 35-36, Romans 3:21–31, Psalm 93:1–94:5, Proverbs 20:6–8



Today's Readings - Job 35-36, Romans 3:21–31, Psalm 93:1–94:5, Proverbs 20:6–8


Devotional 

I can remember the bumper sticker clearly. "Proud to be a Christian." That is an oxymoron. You can be proud. And you can be Christian, but you cannot be both. A proper understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ absolutely, totally and eternally precludes any boasting on my part. I understand that the person with the bumper sticker may have had something else in mind - that he was not ashamed of his (or her) faith, that he would not apologize for his convictions. Perhaps. But it is a crucial point. Pride is the opposite of Christianity!

Paul made this clear in Romans 3:27.
Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. 
Paul devoted chapters 1-3 to stating our utterly helpless position before God. We have all sinned and are guilty, Jews and Greeks. And in verses 21-26, he spelled out the real theme of the entire book of Romans. Now, God has revealed to us a righteousness that is not based on our works, our ability to keep the Law, or our merit. It is now based on God's grace and comes to us by faith.
But now, apart from the law, the righteousness of God has been revealed, attested by the Law and the Prophets. 22 The righteousness of God is through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe, since there is no distinction. 23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. 24 They are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. 25 God presented him as an atoning sacrifice in his blood, received through faith, to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his restraint God passed over the sins previously committed. 26 God presented him to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so that he would be righteous and declare righteous the one who has faith in Jesus.

And that, Paul concludes, leaves no room for boasting. I am no better, no more worthy, in no better standing before God (on my own) than are the despicable sinners of this world. I am as incapable of saving myself as is the lowest low-life on the planet. Anything I might be, anything I might become, any merit or good in me is a product of the grace of God.

Boasting about it just makes no sense!

There is a great scene in Revelation in which the saints who have earned crowns come and lay them at the feet of Christ. How appropriate. My place in heaven was secured by Christ's death on the Cross, not anything I have done. It is the indwelling Holy Spirit who is at work to make me holy, to conform me to Christ. If anything good happens, it is the work of God and any rewards I might earn belong to him!

So, why wait? One day we will lay our crowns at the feet of Christ. Why not do so, at least symbolically, today? Humble yourself before the God of Heaven and thank him for all he has done for you. Give credit where credit is due. Thank him for everything!

Father, I am nothing without you. My soul is redeemed by the blood of your Son, my destiny is settled by his resurrection, my life is powered by your Spirit. It is all you, God. Forgive me for any moment when I have taken credit myself for the work that you have done. 

Think and Pray


Do you base your relationship with God (even subtly) on your own goodness, on your merit, or do you understand the concept of justification by faith, apart from works? 



No comments:

Post a Comment