Tuesday, November 3, 2015

My Biggest (and Dumbest) Sin - November 03, Readings: Ezekiel 13-14, 2 Timothy 1, Psalm 119:109–116, Proverbs 26:27–28

Links to Today's Readings

I've never been a big sin kind of guy. I've never cheated on my wife, never robbed a bank or committed a felony. I've shot my mouth off way too often, saying things I came to regret. I've grown angry and struggled with bitterness at times - pretty normal stuff. My sins have primarily been of the heart, of the mind, and of the mouth.

But as I read scripture, there is one sin that has probably been my greatest (worstest?). I think of what Samuel said when he was giving his farewell to the people of Israel when they had selected a king. "God forbid that I should sin against you by failing to pray for you." He identified prayerlessness, especially for the people of God placed in his care, as a great sin.

That verse came to mind when I read 2 Timothy 1:3.
...as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. 
Timothy was Paul's spiritual son, one into whom he poured a lot of time and effort. Timothy went with him on many of his journeys, was one of his most trusted assistants and was left by Paul to do serve the churches that Paul had planted on his missionary journeys.

And Paul prayed for him constantly. Night and day. Unceasingly and passionately, Paul poured out his heart to God begging God to work in Timothy's life and through him in the life of the church.

It's not like I don't pray. I do. But not with the kind of passion and fidelity that Paul indicates here and in other places in his writings. He called out to God for the people he had led to Christ and for the churches he had founded. He was consistent, forceful and fervent in his prayers.

To fail to pray is not only sinful, it is also foolish. Why would I work as a pastor and not call out to the God who can pour out his power on my labors? Why would I raise my children and not call out to God to guide, protect and empower them? Why would I fail to seek the power of the God who can make my labors fruitful?

It is folly, but it is an all-too-common folly in my life.

Father, forgive me for prayerless days, when I walk in my own power and fail to seek yours. I ask for your power and grace in my family, in my church, and on my labors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment