Monday, March 31, 2014

Godly Ruthlessness - March 31 Readings: Deuteronomy 13-14, Luke 4:16–44, Psalms 40:7–13, Proverbs 8:22–24

Links to March 31 Readings: Deuteronomy 13-14, Luke 4:16–44, Psalms 40:7–13, Proverbs 8:22–24

Deuteronomy 13:6-18 commands that those who go after other gods must be treated without mercy, that the people of God must be ruthless in their dealings with idolaters. The words seem harsh to our modern ears, so steeped in tolerance, but they are the words of God nonetheless. Israel was commanded to rid themselves of anyone who worshiped a god other than Yahweh.

We are not a theocracy and we do not have the death penalty for offenses such as these anymore, but it is still right that we approach idolatry in our own hearts with ruthlessness. I must be as ruthless toward this sin in my heart as Israel was to be towards idolaters in their midst.

Of course, I never practice the kind of physical idolatry that Israel did - I've never bowed down to a Buddha or any of the Hindu gods or goddesses. I do not worship Baal. But that does not mean that I do not struggle with idolatry. Idolatry is putting anything ahead of my affection for and loyalty to God. He demands that I love him with all my heart and if I try to divide my affections it is offensive to God.

Daily, I need to examine my own heart. What is my passion? What moves my heart? What am I living for? If the answer to these questions is anything other than Jesus Christ, I am an idolater and I need to practice godly ruthlessness on my own heart.

Tear down the idols and burn them, Dave!

Father, my heart is too often divided in its attention and affection, too often focused on the wrong things. May the love of your Son be the passion of my heart every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment