Saturday, March 5, 2022

"When Evil Men Attack" March 5 Readings: Psalm 56, 120, 140-142

 



Reading the Bible Chronologically in 2022

This year, instead of reading from Genesis to Revelation, we will read the Bible as the story flows, as it happened and was written. There are several plans out there and I have worked to combine them into a plan that lets the Bible tell its own story "as it happened." Remember, the Bible is inspired, but not in the order the books appear in our Bibles. The Old Testament is approximately 3/4 of the Bible, but I have divided it so that we will spend half the year in the OT, and half the year in the NT. 

Bible Readings:  Psalm 56, 120, 140-142  


Background:   

Today we read 5 more of David's psalms written during the time of suffering and pain when Saul sought his life. I am reusing a devotional from 2018 - you might think from the title I am speaking of Vladimir Putin, but I am not. God's word is constantly true and up-to-date, isn't it? 

Daily Devotional: When Evil Men Attack 


I know better, but still, I get it wrong!

I seek God and walk in obedience to him and my expectation is that because of my faithfulness, my obedience, my service to God, everything is going to go well. People will like me, support me, encourage me. And yet there is something I have noticed consistently throughout my decades of Christian service. The more I walk in fidelity to God the more likely someone is to criticize me.

I can remember several times when God did amazing works of grace in our lives, in our family, or in our church - demonstrating his love, favor, and power. Every single time someone had a word of criticism, someone took offense, someone found a cloud in the silver lining of God's grace.

That is not to say that I am above criticism, but it is odd that the criticism I receive tends to amp up and ramp up the closer I walk with Christ and the more I serve him.

And this ought not to surprise me.

Our Psalms today are pleas by David to God when Saul and others were pursuing him. What did David do to deserve the animosity of Saul? Not a thing. He obeyed God. He served Saul faithfully. He didn't kill Saul when he had the chance. But still, Saul attacked him. People questioned his motives. They called him crazy.

Friends, Jesus never sinned a single time in his life and they crucified him in the most heinous way. The Apostles served the Lord with passion and purity and all but John, who died in lonely exile, faced painful martyrs' deaths. And Jesus promised the world would treat us as it treated him.

The question for you is not WHETHER you will be criticized and mistreated but HOW you will respond. When people attack you, when they call you names, when they question your motives and besmirch your character, will you give up on what God has called you to do? Will you get discouraged and quit? Or will you remain faithful to God?

We should always listen to critics - maybe there is a nugget of wisdom in their words from which we can gain truth to help us grow in Christ. But we must not be enslaved by our critics and we must not be derailed by them. The more you serve Jesus the more the enemy will send those, inside the church and out, to run you down and try to stop the work of God in you.

Father, help me to listen to my critics and learn from them, but strengthen me to listen first to you. May I never be turned aside from the work you are doing in my life by the whisperings of those who oppose you and your work in me. 

Consider God's Word:


How do you respond to critics?
Do you react defensively, with anger, striking back, or refusing to listen to what they say?
Or do you crumble at criticism, get discouraged, and abandon the work God has called you to do?




No comments:

Post a Comment