Wednesday, December 14, 2022

"Finding Balance" December 14 Readings: 1 John 1:1-2:6

 



Reading the Bible Chronologically in 2022

This year, instead of reading from Genesis to Revelation, we will read the Bible as the story flows, as it happened and was written. There are several plans out there and I have worked to combine them into a plan that lets the Bible tell its own story "as it happened." Remember, the Bible is inspired, but not in the order the books appear in our Bibles. The Old Testament is approximately 3/4 of the Bible, but I have divided it so that we will spend half the year in the OT, and half the year in the NT. 

Bible Readings:  1 John 1:1-2:6


Background:   

The history of heresy is interesting. By the time John wrote his first epistle, he was likely the only one of the Apostles still alive, and the heresy that would so dominate and degrade the church of the second century had begun to spread.

Most heresy roots in the person and work of Christ. In our day it is the deity of Christ that most often comes under attack but in the later First Century and early Second Century church, it was often a docetic heresy that dominated - a belief that the flesh was evil and denied that God would have actually taken physical form. It was the humanity of Christ, his physical existence, that was denied.

There is nothing personal in this letter - no references to friends, no identification of the other author. But it is well-attested to be the work of John, the disciple of Christ, the "Son of Thunder." Tradition holds it to have been written from Ephesus. 

Daily Devotional: Finding Balance 


Remember Nik Wallenda walking across the Grand Canyon? To learn to the left or to the right would be deadly. Only by balancing perfectly could he stay alive. In 1 John 2:1-2, there are two truths taught that must be perfectly balanced. Many Christians hold to one of these truths and ignore or redefine the other - to their spiritual detriment.
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
The first truth that John presents is the challenge for each of us - that we might not sin. We have been saved by God's grace from the slavery to sin that came naturally to us and given freedom in Christ to live righteously. We have the indwelling Spirit of God to empower us and we both should and can say no to sin. Yes, I am a sinner and until Jesus takes me to my eternal home I will always be so. But I must never make peace with my sinfulness and act as if it is no big deal. Every sin I commit is an offense against the righteousness of Christ and grieves the Spirit of God within me. God has empowered me to holy living and I must seek to walk in the power he has provided.

But, no matter how hard I try I will always fail. The "lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of one's lifestyle" will always have their pull on my lower nature and sin will rear its head. I will never be perfect. When I sin, I must not give up. I must not quit. I must not despair. I must, instead, remember that I have one who advocates on my behalf. Jesus died to pay for my sins. No matter what I do today, it doesn't matter - my sin is already paid for, my future is certain, and the love of God is secure.

Did you see the conflict in what I said? It matters whether or not I sin. I must not sin. But it doesn't matter when I sin because Jesus is my advocate. This is one of those inherent paradoxes in Christianity. I must always strive to walk in the holiness Christ has provided for me, but I must also rest in the security of his love even when I fail. It is a balancing act, but it is one that leads to glory.
Father, thank you for the absolute, eternal, and comprehensive forgiveness I have through the advocacy of your Son, Jesus Christ. May your grace through him move me to holy living, to purity and to freedom from a life of sin. 

Consider God's Word:

Do you keep these truths in balance?
Do you seek to avoid sin in Christ's power?
When you sin, do you confess that sin and rely on the power of the advocate that we have, Jesus Christ our Lord? 







No comments:

Post a Comment