Monday, December 12, 2022

"But, I Can't" December 12 Readings: 2 Peter 1

 



Reading the Bible Chronologically in 2022

This year, instead of reading from Genesis to Revelation, we will read the Bible as the story flows, as it happened and was written. There are several plans out there and I have worked to combine them into a plan that lets the Bible tell its own story "as it happened." Remember, the Bible is inspired, but not in the order the books appear in our Bibles. The Old Testament is approximately 3/4 of the Bible, but I have divided it so that we will spend half the year in the OT, and half the year in the NT. 

Bible Readings:  2 Peter 1  


Background:   

Peter had a "word" from God according to 2 Peter 1:14 - it was just about time for him to see Jesus again. So, like Paul did in Titus and 2 Timothy, he poured out his heart to his readers. While skeptics question whether this letter actually came from the hand of the friend of Jesus we do not doubt its authenticity or its inspiration. It has some strange teachings but it is our duty to seek to understand them not to sit in judgment over them.

2 Peter has at least 11 OT references and contains many similarities to the book of Jude. Like his first epistle, it is written to Christians in Asia Minor and focuses not only on Christian living but the dangers of false teachers who would rise up when the Apostles died out.

Daily Devotional:  But, I Can't


It's so hard; it's just SO hard! Living the Christian life is hard. 

Think about what God demands of us as we live the Christian life. We are called, as the redeemed and forgiven, to break free from slavery to sin and to walk in holiness. I've got a lot of sinful desires that still well up in my soul and it's not easy. I am called not only to imitate Christ but to actually become like him. Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I'm not that much like Christ - not nearly as much as I ought to be or would like to be. I have been commanded to love my enemies, rejoice no matter what is going on and give thanks for everything that happens in my life, even those things I'm not so crazy about. And God has given us the responsibility to take the gospel into all the world and to make people disciples - followers of Jesus Christ - not just here where I live but to the very ends of the earth. 

No, I take it back. It's not hard, it's impossible. I can't do it. 

That's why I love 2 Peter 1:3-4. It is a great comfort to people like me who realize that the demands of the Christian life are beyond our ability. 
His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.
Okay, maybe it's possible after all! Jesus Christ didn't just save me and then send me out and say, "Do the best you can, Dave." No, he fills me with his divine power, by the indwelling Holy Spirit, to do in me everything that is "required for life and godliness." He empowers me to do it all. 

That is really the story of the Bible. Abraham is called to be what he could never be, the father of many nations. But God did it. Moses was given a task far beyond his abilities, but God did it. Gideon fought the Midianites. David fought Goliath. Elijah faced the false prophets on Mt. Carmel. Each of them was overmatched. But God did it. The apostles were unlearned and ignorant men, demonstrably incapable of being the foundation stones upon which Jesus would build his church. But filled with God's Spirit, suddenly they were able to do what they'd never been able to do. God did it! 

I cannot conquer temptation and sin, but God can. I can't love my enemies. God can (he already does). I can't make disciples, but God can. Everything that is needed so that I can do all that God has called me to do is given to me as a gift from God. 
Father, I thank you that it's not up to me, but that the power I need comes to me by your Spirit. May I depend every day on your power, and not struggle in the futility of my own power. 

Consider God's Word:



Remember that whatever the challenges you face, it is the strength of Jesus Christ that is your power. You live on the basis of his resources. 






No comments:

Post a Comment