Sunday, August 23, 2020

Jesus Wins - When Your World Explodes – August 23 Readings: John 16:25-33 – World Conqueror


John 14-16: When Your World Explodes

Jesus knew, the night before his death, that the disciples' world was about to be blown to pieces. He would be arrested, tried, and crucified. They'd committed themselves to Jesus and he would be gone. In this powerful message, Jesus prepared the disciples to live in peace and spiritual power when the world around them was falling apart.

We will take the next three weeks delving into this passage.

Today's Reading: John 16:25-33       


25 “I have spoken these things to you in figures of speech. A time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures, but I will tell you plainly about the Father. 26 On that day you will ask in my name, and I am not telling you that I will ask the Father on your behalf. 27 For the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. 28 I came from the Father and have come into the world. Again, I am leaving the world and going to the Father.”

29 His disciples said, “Look, now you’re speaking plainly and not using any figurative language. 30 Now we know that you know everything and don’t need anyone to question you. By this we believe that you came from God.”

31 Jesus responded to them, “Do you now believe? 32 Indeed, an hour is coming, and has come, when each of you will be scattered to his own home, and you will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me. 33 I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. You will have suffering in this world. Be courageous! I have conquered the world.”


Through the Bible Readings: Song of Songs 3-4, Romans 12, Psalm 100, Proverbs 21:4–5 

If you wish to read through the Bible in a year, follow these readings. 

Devotional:  Jesus Wins!   


Early during the coronavirus shutdown, when my favorite shows went off the air and there were no sports to watch, I did something that seems a little silly to most. I went back to YouTube and other sources and watched old sporting events. Football games. Of course, I watched a lot of old baseball games featuring a certain team from out east. Even though I knew how the game came out, I still enjoyed tension and drama of watching the game unfold. 

We live today in a world of tension and drama, filled with sadness and pain, but make no mistake about it. We know how the game will end. During this life, Jesus promised, the followers of Jesus will be scattered and pursued and will endure much pain and suffering. It is inevitable in a world given over to sin. 

We have called this two-week excursus in John 14-16, "When Your World Explodes." This year, 2020, has been a real stinker for a lot of people, hasn't it? We don't know that the last few months will get better and who knows what 2021 holds in store? Sometimes, our world just explodes. Sometimes, people present the faith as if it is a means to health, wealth, comfort, and ease in this world. Jesus promised just the opposite. "You will have suffering in this world." It is a promise from our Savior. 

But Jesus gave one more promise. "I have conquered the world." Jesus defeated everything in this world that could possibly hurt us. On the cross, when Jesus rose up and said, "It is finished," he was declaring his victory over Satan, over sin, over death, and over hell. 

It is important to remember that Jesus, today, is not battling Satan for supremacy in the heavenly places. He has it. He established it. He has won. He conquered them all. 

Now, my friend, it is important that we remember that Jesus' victory, while guaranteed, is not always evidenced today. Sometimes, in this day, it LOOKS like righteousness is losing and the enemy is gaining ground. We must walk in faith knowing that our future is glorious in Christ. Jesus wins. 

Father, I rejoice in the victory of your Son, who has conquered every enemy of my life. 

Think and Pray:

Take time today to thank God for the victory you have in Christ. 
Remember that our victory, though guaranteed, is future. Today, our suffering can be real, but it will end in glory. 




No comments:

Post a Comment