Monday, June 22, 2020

Our Good Shepherd - Himalayan Heights – June 22 Readings: Psalm 23:1 – All I Need


Psalm 23: The Lord Is My Shepherd


All Scripture is God-breathed and useful, but there are some Scriptures that we can consider the Himalayan mountaintops of the Bible. In the next few months, we will be looking at a series of great texts that inspire and move us - the "Himalayan Heights" of God's Word.

Today's Reading:  Psalm 23, focus on verse 1

David was a shepherd in his early years. In this great song of praise, David considers God as his shepherd and reflects on what that means. Each verse is a gem.

Each day this week, meditate on this psalm. The highlighted potion will be our focus verse.


1  The Lord is my shepherd;
I have what I need.
2 He lets me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside quiet waters.
3 He renews my life;
he leads me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even when I go through the darkest valley,
I fear no danger,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
as long as I live.

Through the Bible Readings: 2 Chronicles 1-2, John 21, Psalm 76, Proverbs 15:25–27

If you wish to read through the Bible in a year, follow these readings. 

Devotional:  Our Good Shepherd   


Familiarity breeds contempt, they say, but in biblical interpretation, it more often breeds carelessness. When we know a passage as well as we know the 23rd Psalm, we may assume that we know what it is saying without looking deeply at its meaning. David the shepherd used his work as a youth to describe the work of God as a Good Shepherd of his sheep. We must take care that we understand what David said and not simply make assumptions.

As Christians, we would not think of practicing theft. Unfortunately, we often take promises from God's word that do not belong to us. There are many precious promises made in this chapter - provision of needs, guidance through dark and difficult times, dwelling in the presence of God. None of these promises belong to us until we fulfill the condition in the very first line.

The Lord is my shepherd.

It is only those who are part of God's flock, who have been saved by grace through faith, who can claim these promises. It goes beyond that, though. These are "Lordship" promises. These blessings come to those who yield their lives to Christ and walk in obedience to him. It is when the Lord is your shepherd that you do not want, that you lie down in green pastures and drink from quiet waters. Those who walk in rebellion against Christ, who do not submit fully to the Lordship of Christ, have no right to lay claim to any of these promised blessings.

A good shepherd makes sure his sheep have what they need. Toward the end of his life, David said, "I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their seed begging for bread." I look back over the years and we have never had a lot, but we have always had enough. God has blessed us in so many ways. He never promised me that brand new Lincoln Navigator I've sometimes coveted, but he has provided cars for us in ways that made it absolutely clear we have a good shepherd.

Charlatans fill the airwaves with false promises of abundant wealth from God to those who "have faith." They twist Scripture to get there in the most heinous ways. Paul testified that he had learned to be content whatever the circumstances - when God provided abundantly or even in times of want. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," he said, referring to enduring whatever life through.

Still, we have a shepherd, a Good Shepherd. When we walk with him and obey him and listen to him, he will take care of us. It is one of the most exciting aspects of the life of faith, watching God provide for us in ways we did not expect. He is amazing, truly a Good Shepherd.

Father, I thank you for shepherding me through life. All my mistakes, all my failures, and yet you are still a Good Shepherd every day. Praise your name. 

Think and Pray:

Can you claim these promises, these blessings? Is the Lord your shepherd? Or are you walking in rebellion against him?

Can you remember times when your Good Shepherd has provided for your needs? 


No comments:

Post a Comment