Thursday, June 25, 2020

His Way Is Best - Himalayan Heights – June 25 Readings: Psalm 23:3 – Righteous Paths


Psalm 23: The Lord Is My Shepherd


All Scripture is God-breathed and useful, but there are some Scriptures that we can consider the Himalayan mountaintops of the Bible. In the next few months, we will be looking at a series of great texts that inspire and move us - the "Himalayan Heights" of God's Word.

Today's Reading:  Psalm 23, focus on verse 3

David was a shepherd in his early years. In this great song of praise, David considers God as his shepherd and reflects on what that means. Each verse is a gem.

Each day this week, meditate on this psalm. The highlighted potion will be our focus verse.


1  The Lord is my shepherd;
I have what I need.
2 He lets me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside quiet waters.
3 He renews my life;
he leads me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even when I go through the darkest valley,
I fear no danger,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
as long as I live.

Through the Bible Readings: 2 Chronicles 7-8, Acts 2:1–41, Psalm 77:12–20, Proverbs16:1

If you wish to read through the Bible in a year, follow these readings. 

Devotional: His Way Is Best   


You realize, of course, that when the Bible describes us as sheep, it is not a flattering portrayal. There are two particular aspects to sheepitude (yep, I just made that word up) that are unfortunate. First of all, just about every predator in the animal kingdom has a taste for lamb chops. Whatever animals are out there looking for lunch will love a sheep every time! That leads to the second problem. Sheep have no natural defenses against predators. Some animals are fierce and can fight their way out of trouble. Others are fast and can flee. God equipped animals with all kinds of odds protections - venom, quills, the "aroma" of skunks, the ability to hide or blend into surroundings. Sheep have none of that. They are slow and have no ability to fight back.

That is why sheep need a shepherd. A shepherd's duty is to lead the sheep along pastures where they are safe, where they can find water and food, and where predators cannot easily attack them. When Psalm 23:3 speaks of our Good Shepherd leading us along the right paths, we often think of lists of rules we must follow to walk on the straight and narrow path. Of course, Christians must obey the word of God, but that is not what "he leads me along the right paths" is primarily about.

Though they were not original with him, I first heard these statements from Henry Blackaby. As Christians, we must come to believe that God's word is always truth, his will is always right, his way is always best. How often do we question whether God has our best interests at heart? No, of course we do not do so out loud, but in our hearts we know what God wants, what the word says, but we dither and question and vacillate about following God's will.

When Abram was told to take his son to the mountain as a sacrifice, he got up early the next morning and left. He obeyed God and he did so immediately. Was his heart breaking? Of course it was. Did he want to do it? No, not even for a second! But he knew that the Shepherd was leading him in right paths. He knew that there was never a better way to live life than in obedience to what God says.

Do we believe we can improve on God's word? Do we think that we can modernize, update, and revise God's ways to make him more relevant? No. God's word is always true - it is inspired and perfect. God's will is always right; he will never lead you astray. God's ways are always best. You simply cannot improve on what God has for you.

The Shepherd will lead you, when you follow him, on the right paths. They may be hard, rocky, difficult, at times, but you can know that there is no better way for you to live than in full trust in your Shepherd who leads you on the right paths.

Father, thank you for being a God we can trust in all things. May we never doubt your word, your will, or your ways. 

Think and Pray:

Do you truly believe that God's will is best for your life, that his word is absolute truth?
Do you walk in obedience to him or do you entertain the hubris that you can somehow improve on the way things are stated in God's word?




No comments:

Post a Comment