Saturday, May 30, 2020

Jesus KNOWS - Himalayan Heights – May 30 Readings: Revelation 2:12-17 – Pergamum

 Revelation 1-5 - Seeing Jesus


All Scripture is God-breathed and useful, but there are some Scriptures that we can consider the Himalayan mountaintops of the Bible. In the next few months, we will be looking at a series of great texts that inspire and move us - the "Himalayan Heights" of God's Word.

Today's Reading:  Revelation 2:12-17 

The "Super 7" refers to 7 passages I consider formative in my Bible Study and Christian life. They are taken from both the Old Testament and the New, various sources and various subjects.

“Write to the angel of the church in Pergamum: Thus says the one who has the sharp, double-edged sword: 13 I know where you live—where Satan’s throne is. Yet you are holding on to my name and did not deny your faith in me, even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness who was put to death among you, where Satan lives. 14 But I have a few things against you. You have some there who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to place a stumbling block in front of the Israelites: to eat meat sacrificed to idols and to commit sexual immorality. 15 In the same way, you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans. 16 So repent! Otherwise, I will come to you quickly and fight against them with the sword of my mouth. 17 “Let anyone who has ears to hear listen to what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name is inscribed that no one knows except the one who receives it.




Through the Bible Readings: 2 Kings 3-4, John 8:12–30, Psalm 68:29–35, Proverbs14:9-10

If you wish to read through the Bible in a year, follow these readings. 

Devotional: Jesus KNOWS    


Wouldn't you love to know exactly what Jesus Christ thinks of our church? Wouldn't it be interesting (or, perhaps, horrifying) to get a report card from him, a progress report that says exactly what he thinks of how we are doing as a church? We have looked at the letters to Ephesus and Smyrna, and today we will see what Jesus said to Pergamum. Let's focus on something he says to Pergamum that he also says to the other churches. "I know your works."

One of my struggles has always been dealing with the opinions of others. When people have been angry at me or critical, it buries itself deep in my spirit, and often I've been too susceptible to praise and flattery. Proverbs says that the fear of man is a snare, that living my life according to man's opinion, to please others, is a path of folly.

But what does God think? Of course, I have the Holy Spirit dwelling in me to convict me of sin and to lead me in the ways of righteousness. But I can read what God said to the churches and see what pleases him and what does not.

Jesus walks among the candlesticks and he knows what is going on. "I know your works." He knows what we have been doing. I can fool my church, at least for a while. I can fool my family, though likely for a shorter time. In fact, I can fool myself. Lots of people live in self-deception. But I cannot fool Jesus. We cannot put one over on him. He knows exactly what is going on in his church. He knows the good and the bad, that which is of the flesh and of the Spirit. There is no point in rationalization or justification - he sees, he knows, and he judges rightly.

To the church of Pergamum, he says in verse 13, "I know where you dwell." He knows what is going on in my life. He knows my struggles and hurts. He knows the pain I'm going through and the challenges I'm facing. He knows exactly what is happening in my life. Both of these are true in our church as well. He knows what we are doing and he knows what we are going through. We need to look at ourselves honestly and let God's Spirit work his work in us.

The problem in Pergamum (and even worse in Thyatira) was tolerance. Jesus did something strange to our ears. He will rebuke Thyatira for that tolerance - of sin in the church. They let a wicked woman run the church and lead many people astray. Tolerating evil is never acceptable to the servant of God.

But the specifics are not the issue today. Just remember that God knows. Your Savior knows. Jesus sees all! He knows what is going on in your heart and in your life. He knows your struggles and he sees your choices. As you pray, there is no point in trying to put on a show. He sees behind the mask. He sees you! Your heart and soul! He sees deep into your spirit. He knows. Let his Spirit search your soul and conform you to Christ.

Father, forgive me for my artifice, for my silly attempts to pretend. You see and you know. Lead me in the paths of righteousness and conform me to Christ. 

Think and Pray:

Which of the churches reminds you most of yours?
If Jesus was reviewing your life and your church, what would he say?
Let God's Spirit use the Word to speak truth to you today.
Do you ever tolerate evil to keep people happy? 




No comments:

Post a Comment