Tuesday, February 25, 2020

The Land Is Mine - February 25 Readings: Leviticus 25, God Demands Justice

The Story of the Bible from Creation to the Cross to Eternal Glory


In 72 daily readings, we will examine the overall story of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, seeking to get the big picture of God's work through Jesus Christ in this sinful world.

Today's Reading:   Leviticus 25


Through the Bible Readings: Numbers 1-4, Mark 4:21–41, Psalm 28:4–9, Proverbs 6:34-35

If you wish to read through the Bible in a year, follow these readings. 

Context 


Reading the OT law can be hard for us - it's a long list of specific laws we don't understand about things that have nothing to do with our lives. Leviticus has chapters on infectious skin diseases and mildew, on handling slaves and all sorts of moral, ceremonial, and personal rules that seem to have little applicability in this world.

We must look beyond the specifics at times to the character of God that is revealed in those laws. What we see in many of the laws is a desire from God that he be honored above all and that no idols be worshiped. But many other laws are about how we treat one another, building on the core principle, "Love your neighbor as yourself." Boiled down, these laws tell us to treat one another with respect and take responsibility for our actions. If you break it, fix it. Treat people with honor and be fair and just toward one another. Don't abuse people, misuse people, oppress people, or treat them unkindly.

It's really all about the golden rule even before the golden rule was spoken by Jesus. But it's not just "treat people as you want to be treated," but "treat people as God demands you treat them, knowing they are valuable to him." 

Devotional: The Land Is Mine


For centuries, for millennia, there has been an argument over who owned the land of Israel. Does it belong to the ancient nation of Israel and its descendants or does it belong to its current inhabitants, whoever they may be? The Jews have claimed the land. The Arabs have claimed the land. Others have tried to lay claim to ownership of the Holy Land. But Leviticus 25:23 settles the issue of ownership once and for all.

In the law, the Israelites were told they could not sell the land in perpetuity because "The land is mine." God laid claim on the land. It was not theirs. It was not the property of the Canaanites who dwelt in the land. It belonged to God.

"I do what I want. No one controls me." That's the mantra of modern Americanism. I do what I want when I want how I want and no one gets to tell me what to do. But the kingdom of God doesn't work that way. It's a kingdom after all. That means there si a king. A ruler. Israel belonged to God and in exactly the same way, you belong to God. 1 Corinthians 6 says, "You are not your own, you were bought with a price."

There are so many blessings that come our way when we are saved, too many to enumerate in one devotional post. I am saved, forgiven, redeemed, justified, sealed in the Spirit, destined for glory, and on and on. But there is something else that happens at the moment of salvation when I receive all these blessings. I give up the title to my own life. Jesus comes in to rule over me.

Why did God get to set the laws for Israel? Because it all belonged to him! Jesus purchased me with his blood and gave me life eternal. Because of that, he has every right to assert Lordship, even ownership of my entire life.

I'm not a free man. I'm blessed. I'm redeemed. But I am not free to do as I please. I have been freed from the power of sin to do what God pleases and to live for him. The land is his. This land is his. My body is his temple, where he dwells and where he rules.

When we come to Christ we give up the right to rule our own lives.

Father, I thank you for redeeming me and I remind myself today that you are rightful Lord of my life, and you hold the ownership of my body, soul, and spirit, be cause of the redemption of your Son. 

Think and Pray:

In your day to day life, who is the owner of your life? Do you rule yourself or does Christ have all authority over you?
Do you treat people righteously and justly? 


No comments:

Post a Comment