Wednesday, October 16, 2019

"Jesus Is Better" October 16 Readings: Jeremiah 35-36, Philippians 3:1–4:1, Psalm 118:11–17, Proverbs 25:10–11



Today's Readings - Jeremiah 35-36, Philippians 3:1–4:1, Psalm 118:11–17, Proverbs 25:10–11


Devotional - Jesus Is Better


"I like myself just the way I am."
"Don't try to change me."
"I am who I am and you shouldn't judge me."
"This is the way I was raised - my heritage."

In America's self-centered and self-affirming culture, we place a greater value on being ourselves than on becoming what God wants us to be.

Paul had no such issue. In Philippians 3:4-6 Paul catalogs his identity before Christ appeared to him on the Damascus Road.
If anyone else thinks he has grounds for confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised the eighth day; of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew born of Hebrews; regarding the law, a Pharisee; regarding zeal, persecuting the church; regarding the righteousness that is in the law, blameless.
Paul was a loyal Hebrew, a Pharisee and one who closely observed the law. He attempted to follow the law as carefully as he could and was so passionate about his faith that he even persecuted the church.

But when Paul came to Christ, he did not cherish his culture, prize his heritage, hold on to traditions or insist on affirming himself the way he was. Instead, he turned his back on all of these things that once made him so proud and considered them loss, even garbage. They no longer meant anything to him because of his passion for Jesus Christ as he makes clear in verses 7 and 8.
But everything that was a gain to me, I have considered to be a loss because of Christ. More than that, I also consider everything to be a loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. 
Nothing that was part of Paul's past, his culture, his heritage, his former life was of great value to him anymore because of the exceedingly wonderful value of knowing Jesus Christ. 

He had a new goal. It was not to seek his own way or to "be all he can be." No, his new purpose, in verses 9 and 10, was:
and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own from the law, but one that is through faith in Christ—the righteousness from God based on faith. My goal is to know him and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of his sufferings, being conformed to his death.
Now it was all about knowing Christ, experiencing the power of his resurrection and serving him sacrificially in both his life and if necessary, by his death. 
Father, may I be like Paul, who left behind everything to pursue the knowledge of Christ. 

Think and Pray

Which of the readings spoke most powerfully to you today?
Is the Spirit of God moving you to repent of something you are doing, to begin something new, or to change something about your life as a result of your readings? What?

Are you willing to give up everything you are and have and value to gain Christ?
Are you willing to press on, leaving everything else behind?


No comments:

Post a Comment