Tuesday, March 12, 2019

"Remember!" March 12 Readings: Deuteronomy 1-2, Mark 12:1-17, Psalm 34:16-22, Proverbs 8:15-16



Today's ReadingsDeuteronomy 1-2, Mark 12:1-17, Psalm 34:16-22, Proverbs 8:15-16


Devotional - Remember!


Deuteronomy is a favorite book of mine because I take a lot of teasing about how often I "review" and repeat my teachings. The whole book is one long review. Moses, at the end of his life, just before he would turn over the reins of leadership to Joshua and his life would come to an end, reviewed the story of God's grace to Israel and the law that was told in Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers.

There is a good reason God, through Moses, gave the book of Deuteronomy, why he reviewed the story of his grace to these people. God's people have short spiritual memories - we have a disturbing tendency to forget his goodness. Look at the warning in Deuteronomy 4:9 (which will come in tomorrow's reading).
Only be on your guard and diligently watch yourselves, so that you don’t forget the things your eyes have seen and so that they don’t slip from your mind as long as you live. Teach them to your children and your grandchildren.
In chapter 6, Moses will instruct the Israelites to speak these words to their children, which will come the day after.

You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:7-9 
The first thing the Serpent tried to do in the Garden is to convince Adam and Eve to forget the goodness of God. God had given them a vast array of tasty fruit. The Serpent got them to focus on the one tree they couldn't have and to forget God's goodness. The enemy wants us to forget what God has said and done. God asks us to remember. 

Many of the sacrifices, ceremonies, and rituals of the Old Testament had one purpose - to help Israel remember what God had done. Jesus also gave us a ceremony to repeat, "in remembrance of me" - to help us memorialize his death on our behalf. How often did God tell Israel to raise a pile of stones or some other visible means of remembering what he had done?

I have such a short memory. In my nearly 60 years of life, my God has been good to me beyond anything I ever deserved. And I have consistently forgotten that goodness, becoming mired in self-pity, discouragement, dismay, and hopelessness. As I look back I sometimes wonder how good God will have to be before I stop forgetting. 

That is one of the key reasons we read God's Word, pray, and worship is simply to remember. Remember, my friend. Remember!
Father, may I never forget your goodness to me. May I remember the Cross, where you purchased my soul, the Empty Tomb which gives me life and the power of the Spirit which empowers me. Help me to remember, every day, what you have done. 

Think and Pray

Which of the readings spoke most powerfully to you today?
Is the Spirit of God moving you to repent of something you are doing, to begin something new, or to change something about your life as a result of your readings? What?

Every day when you think and pray, you have one primary duty - to remember. :Remember God's love and grace, his holiness and purity, his great works in your behalf.
So, remember. Intentionally. Consistently. Repeatedly.
Remember!



No comments:

Post a Comment