Sunday, March 17, 2019

"He Earned My Love" March 17 Readings: Deuteronomy 11-12, Mark 14:26–50, Psalm 36:1–6, Proverbs 8:26-27



Today's ReadingsDeuteronomy 11-12, Mark 14:26–50, Psalm 36:1–6, Proverbs 8:26-27


Devotional - He Earned My Love


Why should I obey God? Why should I love him? Why should I turn my back on my own desires, my own ambitions, my own will, and give myself wholly and completely to God? The Israelites asked themselves this question repeatedly. Why should we love and serve the Lord? Why can't we be like all the nations around us?

God answered this question clearly in Deuteronomy 11. The chapter begins with a call to love God and to demonstrate that love through obedience. True love for God is evidenced by a submissive, obedient heart.
“Therefore, love the Lord your God and always keep His mandate and His statutes, ordinances, and commands." Deuteronomy 11:1
Moses then explains clearly why Israel was obligated to love God. 
His greatness, strong hand, and outstretched arm; His signs and the works He did in Egypt to Pharaoh king of Egypt and all his land; what He did to Egypt’s army, its horses and chariots, when He made the waters of the Red Sea flow over them as they pursued you, and He destroyed them completely; what He did to you in the wilderness until you reached this place; and what He did to Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab the Reubenite, when in the middle of the whole Israelite camp the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them, their households, their tents, and every living thing with them. Your own eyes have seen every great work the Lord has done. Deuteronomy 11:2-7 
Israel had witnessed the glory, goodness, and power of God on their behalf and that obligated them to loving obedience. God had earned their love. He had stretched out his hand to deliver them from Egypt, had preserved and protected them in the wilderness and now was going to give them the Promised Land. God had also disciplined those who sinned against God in their midst.

God's mighty hand of power on behalf of Israel was so awesome that Israel was obligated to love him back. 

It is amazing that God wants our love. He is self-existent, not dependent on anyone or anything. He needs nothing because he is everything! But yet, in spite of all that, he desires his people to love him with all their hearts and souls and might. 

And he has earned that love. Not only did he create us by the word of his mouth but he gave his own Son as the payment for our sins. By the Blood of the Cross, he redeemed us. He sealed us with the Holy Spirit who not only guarantees our inheritance eternally but also empowers us daily to live for Christ. 

How could I not love a God who has done all of that for me? How could I even consider serving myself or anyone or anything else after God's mighty display of power and grace in my life? He has earned by love and devotion. Too often I fail to give it, but it is his right because of all he has done for me. 

Father, you loved me eternally and sent your son to purchase my redemption. No one loves me like that. That you for your grace and mercy, for all your love and goodness. 

Think and Pray

Which of the readings spoke most powerfully to you today?
Is the Spirit of God moving you to repent of something you are doing, to begin something new, or to change something about your life as a result of your readings? What?

Consider all the things that God has done for you to prove his goodness and love and to earn his love. Give thanks and renew your commitment to him in response to his great goodness and grace.









No comments:

Post a Comment