Sunday, March 3, 2019

"He Does All Things Well" March 3 Readings: Numbers 17-18, Mark 7:14–37, Psalm 31:12–18, Proverbs 7:24-27



Today's ReadingsNumbers 17-18, Mark 7:14–37, Psalm 31:12–18, Proverbs 7:24-27


Devotional - He Does All Things Well 


Jesus was walking through the region to the east and south of Galilee, an area known as the Decapolis (Mark 7:31-37). That is Greek for "ten cities." These ten cities were primarily Greek and Roman populations, not Jewish. That is why there were pigs there when Jesus cast the demons out of the Gerasene demoniac in that region. Jews would never have accepted pigs in their cities.

But as Jesus walked through these Gentile areas, he encountered a man who was deaf and had great difficulty speaking. The group of people accompanying the man begged Jesus to lay hands on him and heal him. Jesus took him off by himself, away from the crowds, and he touched his ears. He called out to heaven, asking God to open the man's ears. Immediately, the man was completely healed - now able to both hear and speak. Jesus ordered the people not to say anything about what he had done, but that command was almost universally ignored in the gospel of Mark. People began to talk about Jesus. And what they said is a reminder to us all.
“He has done all things well! He even makes the deaf hear, and and the mute speak!”
He does everything well, they said. How right they were! Our Savior is not only good, but he is also good at everything. He is a good Savior, who did everything exactly the right way so that he could be our Redeemer. He is a good friend, who is there for us when life batters us. He is a good sustainer, who lifts us up when we fall and strengthens us when we are weak. He is a good leader, a good shepherd, who guides us to green pastures and still waters. 

He is just plain good at everything he does.

So why am I often so reluctant to trust him? Why do I fear the future? Why do I shy away from God's will, even when it is hard? Why? He has demonstrated that he does everything well and I have no reason to distrust him or to fear when I am in his hands. 

I've made a lot of mistakes in my life and I have sometimes struggled with fear, insecurity, and doubt. But one thing I can say for certain. Any time that I put my trust in Jesus Christ and walked in obedience to him, he has demonstrated the absolute truth of what the people of the Decapolis said. 
"He has done all things well!"
Father, I thank you for your Son, who does everything well. I trust him to lead and guide me. I know that when I cast myself upon him in faith, I will never be disappointed. 

Think and Pray

Which of the readings spoke most powerfully to you today?
Is the Spirit of God moving you to repent of something you are doing, to begin something new, or to change something about your life as a result of your readings? What?

Remember that whatever you are facing, Jesus does all things well. Trust him with your life, your problems, your future.


No comments:

Post a Comment