Saturday, December 8, 2018

"The Crowds Cheer" December 8 Readings: Hebrews 12-13


Today's Reading - Hebrews 12-13


Background


Hebrews wraps up with some powerful metaphors - about the race, about discipline and being part of God's family, about the marriage bed.

Devotional - And the Crowds Cheer!


It is one of my favorite metaphors for the Christian life. Having been a marathon runner (slow and steady doesn't win the race, but it gets to the finish line!), I find the words of Hebrews 12:1-2 meaningful.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
In my first marathon (December 1981), I was quite sure I was going to die over the last 5 miles of the race. My feet hurt. My toenails had cut into my toes and they were bleeding. My arm muscles were cramping. I had run the middle miles of the race in close to an 8 minute per mile pace (mile 10 to 21) and then I hit the wall. Hard. Smack. I walked. I jogged. I cried out to God in pain. Then, as I neared Dallas' White Rock Lake, I began to hear the crowds that lined the finish. My pace picked up a little as I neared the end. I remember when I passed the 26-mile mark. That meant I had 385 yards left. Now, crowds lined the street we ran on and they were cheering. FOR ME! I did something I would have sworn I couldn't have done a few miles earlier. I sprinted (to be honest, it felt like a sprint - not sure what it looked like.) I crossed the line and collapsed. I must have looked as bad as I felt. Famed aerobics doctor Kenneth Cooper was at the finish line and he came up to me to check on me!

It was the cheering of the crowds that gave me the energy to go on when I thought I had to quit! These people helped me make it to the end. Hebrews 12:1 builds on chapter 11, the Hall of Faith, describing the heroes of the OT who walked by faith, not by sight. They are the cloud of witnesses who surround us and encourage us to continue our walk of faith and obedience with Jesus Christ. They are not just observers or cheerleaders, but much more. Their lives testify to us that the life of faith is worth it, that those who depend on God and obey, even in the worst of times will never be dismayed!
  • When I feel the weight of the guilt of my sins holding me back, when I wonder if my sins can ever really be washed away, I can listen to the witness of Abel who tells me, "The Father is pleased by a sacrifice of blood, especially that of the Son." 
  • When I don't understand God's ways or his commands, I can listen for the voice of Noah telling me to trust and obey, even if it takes a long time. 
  • When God's promises do not seem to be coming true, I hear the witness of Abraham who shouts for me to wait, to be patient, and that eventually God's promises will be fulfilled. 
  • When I fear for my family, I can hear the testimony of the Patriarchs who speak of the faithfulness of God from generation to generation. 
  • When you are faced with a task that is bigger than you, that is beyond your abilities, listen for Moses. God is bigger than your task. Obey God and he can empower you to face Pharaoah and deliver the people. Moses will remind you that we serve a Mighty God. Whatever the obstacles, whatever the challenges or disappointments or struggles of life, these witnesses remind us that the life of faith is a life of power, a life in which the glory of God is revealed. 
So I pick up the pace and press on. I don't give up and I run to the finish line. I lay aside those worldly weights that hinder me - passions, habits, anything that competes with Christ for my affections - and I run with perseverance the race he has set before me. I keep my eyes focused on  Christ, on the finish, looking forward to that day when I cross the finish line and see Jesus face to face. Yes, that will be glory beyond words.

Run to Jesus. The race is not easy. It can be painful as you pursue Christ in this world. But Jesus is worth it. Every morning when you get up, renew your commitment to Christ and your desire to serve him. Day by day, week by week, year by year, pursue Christ. Run with perseverance until the day the race is over and you hear the Savior say, "Well done."
Father, strengthen me to run the race today, to seek Jesus and to serve him with my whole being. I long for that day when faith becomes sight and I see Jesus face to face. 

Think and Pray


Are you running with perseverance?
Are you listening to the testimony of those who have gon on before to remind you that the life of faith works and that Jesus will never let you down?
Are your eyes fixed on Jesus? 

No comments:

Post a Comment