Thursday, September 20, 2018

"The Joy of Suffering?" September 20 Readings: James 1-2


Today's Reading - James 1-2


Background - An Introduction to the Book of James


We interrupt our reading of the book of Acts to read what is often believed to be the first of the epistles of the New Testament, James.

New Testament scholars are not uniform in their opinions of the timing and setting of the book of James, but it seems likely that the book was written by James, the brother of Jesus, who became the leader of the church of Jerusalem and was a key figure in the council of Jerusalem.

He addresses his book to the "Twelve Tribes in the Dispersion." It is a Jewish book, but it is not certain whether the dispersion referred to is the general dispersion of Jews among the nations (which took place under the Assyrian and Babylonian Empires) or the dispersion of the early Christians after the persecution of Acts 8:1-3.

It was likely written after the establishment of the Antioch church and Saul's proclamation of his "salvation by grace through faith" doctrine and the missionary work of Barnabas and Saul in Acts 13 and 14, which led to the conflict and the great council of Acts 15.

Some have seen James' book as an attempt to refute Saul's teaching of grace, but that is not what is happening. He is refuting a perversion of that doctrine, one which Paul later confronted in Romans 6 and 7 as well. Salvation by grace through faith does not mean that works have no place in our lives. Paul himself said, in Ephesians 2, after the well-known verses 8-9, that we were "created to do good works (verse 10). James, in 2:14-26, is saying what Paul said, that true faith produces works. His book is not theological in nature and he did not develop his doctrine as extensively as Paul did later, probably evidence that the book was early before the doctrinal issues were well-defined, but his teachings complemented Paul's and did not conflict with them. Both believed that God's salvation was by faith and produced a changed life evidenced by a new life of good works.

James has been called a "New Testament Proverbs." It is not easy to outline, more a collection of moral teachings than an organized theological treatise. 

Devotional - The Joy of Suffering? Really? 


I'm sorry, James, but that is just plain crazy!

I believe in the absolute truth of every verse of the Bible, but some make that commitment pretty difficult. Oh, my problem isn't with believing that God created the heavens and the earth, that he parted the sea so that Israel could walk through on dry ground, that Jesus healed the sick, walked on water and fed the 5000 or that God raised Jesus from the dead. I believe those things.

But verses like James 1:2 throw me for a loop.
Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials.
Really? When I am experiencing pain or sorrow or frustration, I am supposed to consider this a "great joy?" It makes no sense, does it? 

On a human level, James' teaching is absurd, but on a spiritual level, it is perfectly reasonable. God's purpose in our lives goes beyond our desire for fun and comfort. He is working to make us more like Jesus Christ and sometimes hardships can be his best tool for accomplishing that purpose. 


In early 1980 I was recuperating from a serious skiing injury - I was on crutches for 2 months. I'd begun to gain weight so in late February I decided that I was going to run the Dallas White Rock Marathon the first weekend of December. I had nine months to get ready. So, I ran. And I ran. And I ran some more.

And it hurt. I spent a lot of time with sore muscles, sore feet, sore knees, sore hips. Training for that marathon was painful. But when I crossed the finish line (in 3:55) all the suffering was worth it - it had accomplished its purpose.

Suffering is never fun - that's the definition. But its outcome is such a blessing that if we are seeing things from God's perspective, we can count our sufferings as joy. Verses 3-4 expand on the idea.
...knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing.
When we are taken to the limit and beyond, when our faith is tested by suffering, God builds endurance in us - we get in spiritual shape! That helps us become mature and complete, becoming everything God wants us to be. 

You can have a life of ease and comfort if that is what you want. But you cannot demand that kind of life and also grow strong in Christ and become all he wants you to be. God's plan for your life involves spiritual exercise - from suffering and hardship - that is perfectly designed by him to produce spiritual maturity and to make you more like Christ. 

I hate suffering. I've not gotten to the point where I've mastered the attitude James advocates here. I am more likely to whine than to rejoice in my sufferings. But I do know this - it is the sufferings I've encountered that have caused me to grow in Christ. It is the people who have mistreated me who have helped me learn how to love like Christ. Suffering does produce endurance and spiritual maturity. 

Suffering is a tool in the hand of God and we need to remember that such is the case. 
Father, I say this by faith if not by feeling - thank you for the sufferings that have come my way that tend to make me more like you, that build spiritual endurance and character in me. I thank you that you care enough about me to give me what I need instead of what I want. 

Think and Pray


When you suffer hardship, do you rejoice?
Think and pray through the sufferings of your life from God's perspective. What might God be trying to do in your life? Why spiritual character qualities might God be trying to develop in your life? 




No comments:

Post a Comment