Thursday, September 6, 2018

"I Am Barabbas" September 6 Readings: Matthew 27:15-34, Mark 15:6-24, Luke 23:13-31, John 18:39-19:17


Today's Reading - Matthew 27:15-34, Mark 15:6-24, Luke 23:13-31, John 18:39-19:17 


Background


They talk about people hitting bottom - supposedly that is when lives turn around and things begin to straighten out. In today's reading, mankind hits bottom. The Son of God, perfect and loving, righteous and good, is nailed to a cross. Brutal. Awful. Inexcusable. And glorious beyond words. This is the beginning of the end...and the end of the beginning.

Devotional - I am Barabbas


The story of the crucifixion of Christ is disgusting, sorrowful, enrapturing and transformational, all at once. But it is sometimes hard to find my place in the story. I've had my moments where I cowered as Peter did, afraid of the consequences of standing for my Lord. I'm not sure I've had a Judas moment, but there are times when my silence may have been a betrayal of sorts. The soldiers and the crowds disgust me, but I also must admit regarding the sin of my own heart that nothing is beyond the reach of my wickedness. One day, I will be like Christ because of the work God has done in my life, but today is not that die. 

So, who am I in the story of the Cross? There is one character most like me, one with whom I identify more than any other. 
I am Barabbas. 
No, I'm not a criminal or a political revolutionary or whatever it is that he was. But there are so many similarities - significant markers that identify me with this wicked man. 

1. I deserved to die. 

No one claimed Barabbas was innocent. He was not falsely accused or wrongly tried as Jesus was. He was not convicted on the basis of lies and false stories. Barabbas deserved the death that faced him. He did nothing to merit the favor he received. 

I am a sinner and I deserve death. As sinners go, perhaps I am not the most vicious or vile (unless you peel a few layers and look into my heart - please don't!). Raised in a Christian home where love abounded, I've not plumbed the depths of sin as some have. But I have no doubt. I am guilty before God. If I were to stand before God, my verdict would be guilty. And the wages of sin is death. 

Like Barabbas, I deserved death. 

2. Jesus took my place. 

The crowd, at the urging of the religious leaders, chose Barabbas over Jesus, so our Savior went to the cross. Barabbas went free. Jesus took his place.

When he hung on the cross, he was there in my place, dying for my sins. "I'm the one to blame, I caused all the pain." It was in place of me (and you) that Jesus bled and died.

3. I am now free. 

We have no idea what happened to Barabbas after Jesus took his place and he went free. Fictional portrayals have his life changing as a result of the grace he experienced. My hope is that this is true and one day I will him on the streets of gold. Perhaps, though, he went back to his life of crime and rebellion. But Barabbas was a free man because Jesus took his place.

I am a free man today because Jesus took my place and died for my sins. I am righteous because Jesus bore my sins.

When I read the story of Jesus's death, I know who I am. I am Barabbas, and by HIS stripes, I am healed.
Father, thank you for your grace. I did not deserve it, but you sent your Son to take my place and free me from my sins. My desire is to live the rest of my life in obedient thanks because of what you did for me!

Think and Pray


Consider how your life parallels that of Barabbas' - you are guilty and deserve judgment, but Christ took your place and set you free.
Take time to praise God and give glory to him today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment