Monday, July 30, 2018

"Is Jesus Enough?" July 30 Readings: John 6:22-79


Today's Reading - John 6:22-79


Background


This is when it all turned around. There were crowds following Jesus, thousands upon thousands of excited people who were seeing healings, watching demons flee, being fed by supernatural means. Jesus was the coolest thing that had happened in their lives. But then he began to teach them and it got ugly. The Synoptics have told us about Jesus' call to "deny yourself, take up your cross and follow me." But here, in John 6, we see the actual turning point. Look at verse 66. 
Many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him. 

They left him in droves. The crowds began to slip away and the tens of thousands became thousands. Finally, the thousands became hundreds. When it all came to head there were about 120 faithful disciples left, with perhaps 500 on the periphery.

And it was all because of the message Jesus preached. But Jesus never compromised the message to keep the crowds. He knew that his message was hard, that it was offending, but truth was more to him than popularity. He spoke truth even when it drove people away. 

Devotional - Why Isn't Jesus Enough? 


The crowds were looking for Jesus, and that should have been a good thing, but Jesus knew better. They were coming to him for all the wrong reasons. In verse 26, Jesus calls their bluff. They weren't seeking him because of a deep desire for God, but simply because he had fed them. They wanted another free meal. Free bread from Jesus. 

So Jesus tried to raise their sights a little. "Do not work for food that perishes, but for food that endures to eternal life." He promised to give them that kind of food. After a discussion that included Moses, and manna, and some other side topics, they were finally ready for this bread. They wanted it! Bread that lasted unto eternity. That sounded really good. So, they said to Jesus, "Sir, give us this bread always." 

That is when Jesus burst their bubble wide open. They wanted some kind of miracle, something wonderful, spectacular, impressive. But what Jesus was offering was something far better than they imagined. 
"I am the bread of life."

Coming to Jesus satisfied the soul - true bread and true water. Jesus wasn't offering them a meal, he was offering himself. Jesus doesn't offer us a smorgasbord of blessings, he offers us, well, Jesus! When we get him we get everything we need. Throughout John, there are "I am" statements which tell us who Jesus is and what he brings when he comes to us. "I am the resurrection and the life." "I am the way, the truth, and the life." "I am the Good Shepherd." I am. I am. I am. What I need, Jesus is. 

But his listeners didn't see it that way. They wanted meals. They wanted miracles. They wanted tricks and entertainment and flashy moments. They didn't want "just Jesus." 

That's when things turned ugly. First, they grumbled among themselves. We aren't going to get what we want. Jesus is asking for more than we want to give and all he is offering is himself. Then, in verse 52, they began to dispute among themselves about Jesus' meaning and whether he could really be all he said he was. 

Jesus ratcheted up his teachings by talking about his death and how they had to participate in it, even speaking about eating his flesh and drinking his blood - hinting of communion, of his death and resurrection. 

That's when they turned away from Jesus. That's when they left him. Why? 
Jesus was not enough!

They wanted more! They wanted excitement and entertainment and miracles and food and all those things they had seen Jesus do. Jesus said I want you to die, and to give yourself completely to me. I want to be everything to you and I want you to give everything to me -  100% - unreservedly, with nothing held back. 

Why isn't Jesus enough? Why do we always think we need something more? What I need, he is. All I need to do is die to self and give him my body as a living sacrifice. 

Why, Lord, do I act as if you and your grace is not enough? Why do I pretend I need something more than you and what you give? Help me to remember that you are all I need. 

Think and Pray





Is Jesus enough for you, or do you use him, and your faith in him, as a means to get other things? What is the goal of your faith? 

No comments:

Post a Comment