Tuesday, July 24, 2018

"Giving Up the Glory" July 24 Readings: Matthew 11:1-19, Luke 7:18-35


Today's Reading - Matthew 11:1-19, Luke 7:18-35


Background


Today's reading is brief - the Matthew and Luke readings are virtually identical. They speak of the ebb and flow of the ministries of John and Jesus. John steps back in humility to prepare the way of the Lord, fading into the background so Jesus can take his place as the focus of the nation. His humility and kingdom focus are a great example. 

Devotional - Giving Up the Glory


John the Baptist was unique - Jesus called him the greatest of men. He boldly proclaimed truth calling people to repentance, without regard to people's worldly status. He denied himself to serve the purposes of God. Eventually, he gave his life for his bold proclamation.

But in Matthew 11:1-15, we see an interesting transition taking place. John the Baptist was the biggest news in Israel for a long time. People were coming from all over to hear him preach and to be baptized for the repentance of sins. Some loved him while others hated him. But John was the man!
Everyone was talking about him.

Then, one day, along came his cousin Jesus, whom he likely knew since childhood. John baptized Jesus in the Jordan and God sent a dove to express his unlimited pleasure on his Son. Then change started happening. After Jesus disappeared for 40 days into the wilderness, he went into Galilee with power and authority to proclaim the Kingdom of God. And suddenly a new name was on everyone's lips. "Have you heard about this Jesus guy?" Jesus' ministry was on the rise and John began to fade into the background. Several of Jesus' disciples had been followers of John, but now they had a new master.

And that never once seemed to bother John. Here, in Matthew 11, he questions Jesus to make sure he was the One. In another place, he said, "He must increase and I must decrease." John had it all figured out - it's about Jesus. He rejoiced that people who used to follow him now followed Jesus. He gladly faded into oblivion so that the name of Jesus could be exalted.

What an example for all of us. I am so prone to make everything about me. My needs. My goals. My reputation. My comfort. Me...me...me. But John showed us what life is all about - making Jesus known. God called him to a crucial role - introducing Israel to Jesus. He "prepared the way of the Lord." Is that not what each of us is called to do - to prepare the way of Jesus Christ into this world?

Sioux City needs Jesus Christ - badly! Iowa needs Jesus. The USA needs Jesus. Senegal needs Jesus, and so does every nation on earth. But this comfortable, conservative Midwestern town i live in is enslaved to sin and broken by it. And we have the words of Christ that we need to share.

I need to live a John the Baptist kind of life. No, I'm not going to eat locusts and honey or baptize in the wilderness. But I do need to let my ego fade, my dreams and ambitions slide as I live to make Jesus known. That is our life goal. "Prepare the way of the Lord" into our neighborhoods, into our workplaces, into this city.
Lord, may I be like John the Baptist, who humbled himself and devoted himself to your work. May I never make it about me, but may it always be about your Son! And may I, like John, help to prepare the way of the Lord into every sinful place in Siouxland.

Think and Pray


Are you willing to be diminished that Jesus may be exalted?


Do you have the John the Baptist attitude? "Jesus must increase no matter what, even if it costs me, whatever it costs me."

No comments:

Post a Comment