Saturday, July 28, 2018

"Free!" July 28 Readings: Mark 5, Luke 8:26-56


Today's Reading - Mark 5, Luke 8:26-56


Background


These three stories (or two, the second having two parts), again demonstrate the amazing power of Christ. He casts out the legion of demons, showing his remarkable power there, he heals the woman with the issue of blood, and he raised a young woman from the dead. Demons, disease, and death - Jesus dominates them all.

Anyone wonder why there were 2000 pigs in Israel? The answer is simple. The Decapolis, or ten cities, were Roman cities around the Galilee. Gentiles didn't share the Jews' prohibitions against pork.

Devotional - Free!


Since my recent trips to Senegal, the story of the man with many demons in Mark 5 holds a special meaning place for me. It was one of the five stories that we told in the Ehing villages there. In my first trip, it was the one I was able to learn the best, so I told it the most often.
"This is a true story from God's word. There was a many who had many demons inside him."
The man lived a life that no one envied. Demons had so taken control of his life that he could not live around others or function in his life. He lived in the Gerasene region and was helpless against these dark forces that caused him to live among tombs and behave bizarrely. The demons gave him the unnatural strength to break chains that were meant to control him. He could not live in the village but roamed the cemetery screaming and in torment, hopeless and helpless.

Sometimes I feel that way about my own struggles with sin. No, I am not possessed by demons - I cannot use that excuse - but the power of the flesh is strong. I struggle to gain self-control and discipline my body. When I am offended or injured, anger wells up and the desire to strike back can be overwhelming. It seems I fall to the same sins, the same struggles, over and over again. The chains of sin are strong. 

But the demoniac was not left to wander in the tombs forever.  One day Jesus came by and it was no accident.  The demoniac ran up to Jesus, fell down on his face and called out to Jesus for help.  Jesus did what chains could not do; he broke the hold of evil inside the man. 

It is comforting to know that the same Christ who broke the hold of those demons that day lives in me today and he has lost none of his power.  Jesus empowers me day by day to walk in self-control.  The dark desires of my heart that lead me to do what I know is wrong, what is harmful, what leads me to regret and despair – those desires are under the dominion of the King of kings.  He has broken the hold of sin over me and given me his Spirit to empower me.  The chains are gone, I've been set free.

Once he was freed from his chains, the former demoniac wanted to follow Jesus, but Jesus had a different plan for his life.  In Mark 5:19, Jesus told him,
“Go home to your friends and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.” 
His job now was to return to his friends and family and tell them exactly how his life had changed.  He was to testify that Jesus had made him a new man. What a shame that so often we refuse to admit our weakness and sin. The testimony of the Christian is not that we are such wonderful and sinless people, but that we have a Savior who has done great things for us. 

Yes, Lord, do that work in me. Break the hold of sin by your righteous power. Thank you for not only my redemption, but by the Spirit's power to purify, heal and restore my soul. May I be a living, breathing, and VOCAL testimony of the great things you have done for me.  

Think and Pray


What is it that binds you?
Remember that the power of Christ can free you from whatever b

No comments:

Post a Comment