Sunday, May 20, 2018

"Perilous Pride" May 20 Readings: Isaiah 37-39, Psalm 76


Today's Reading - Isaiah 37-39, Psalm 76


Background

Yesterday we spoke of the downfall of Hezekiah and today we read it (again - as recorded in both 2 Kings and 2 Chronicles) and see how pride destroyed this once-great king.

As we close chapter 39 we finish the first and longest section of the book in which the judgment of God is pronounced. Now, starting in verse 40, we read of the comfort God will bring on his people when he restores them. The difference in tone is so stark that less conservative scholars believe that there are two (and sometimes three) separate books of Isaiah.

Devotional - Perilous Pride


If I hadn't done the same thing so often myself, I would consider Hezekiah quite the moron!

In Isaiah 38, God grants this righteous king of Judah one of the great blessings any man has ever had. Told that he is about to die, he begs God for more time and God hears his prayers. God told him, in verse 6, that he would receive fifteen extra years of life.

Hezekiah was truly grateful and gave praise to God for the good things he had done. It was his intent to live out those fifteen years serving God as he had and praising God every day for the blessing he'd been given.
The Lord is ready to save me;
we will play stringed instruments
all the days of our lives
at the house of the Lord
 Isaiah 38:20
But something changed - the "something" that lurks in every one of us and is so prone to rising to the surface in me. Hezekiah became lifted up in pride. It seems so silly, but it is so common. Somehow, Hezekiah took pride in the gracious work of God in him, as if he deserved it, as if it happened because of how wonderful he was.

Again, I'd scorn Hezekiah if I hadn't done it myself. I come to the pulpit telling God that I just want to glorify him and communicate his truth. I admit that I am an unworthy vessel, a sinful spokesman for the kingdom. I stand before God's people and my prayers are answered. My mind is clear and my mouth is filled God's truth. As I sit down I think, "Wow, I was good today." How often do we tend to take credit for the great and gracious work of God in us? God does it but I act as if it was done by my own hand.

Hezekiah's pride got him in trouble. When envoys from Babylon came to call, he showed them through "his" kingdom, showing off all of his treasures. His pride not only brought a rebuke from Isaiah but led to great harm to the people. Some years later that same nation would remember the great treasures inside Jerusalem and would lay seige to the city, sack it, plunder it, and utterly destroy it.

Remind you of a verse in Proverbs? "Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall." Maybe Solomon was prophesying to his descendant Hezekiah.

You and I would certainly do well to heed that warning. You've heard the ditty, "God is good all the time." Properly understood, that is true. But we need to remember that the goodness of God is based on his mercy and grace, not on our merit. Our pride can only inhibit and hinder the work of God, and bring the devastation of sin into our lives.

Father, remind me daily that your goodness is not based on my goodness, but on your grace. Protect me from the pride that hinders your blessing and devastates my life!

Think and Pray


Do you follow the world's advice to put yourself first and think highly of yourself, or do you listen to God's call to humble yourself in the eyes of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment