Friday, March 30, 2018

"Words that Wound" March 30 Readings: Psalm 5, 38, 41-42


Today's Reading - Psalm 5, 38, 41-42


Background


David repented of his sin when Nathan confronted him and was fully and completely forgiven. But because the consequences of his sin did not end I suspect that his sorrow for his sin was also constant. Every trial he had was a reminder not only of the wickedness of man but also of his own failure.

We live in that paradox often. As sinners, we often give those who hate us, who oppose us, who would hurt us, ample reason to criticize. But that doesn't mean they are justified in their sinful words. David continually called out for grace knowing that though he was not sinless neither was he abandoned by the grace of God.

Devotional - Words that Wound


Words are like knives; the cut deep and leave gaping wounds in our hearts. Maybe it was a parent who poured out their anger and frustration on their children with cruel words. Perhaps a friend you thought would stand with you whose words slice deep instead. Maybe someone finds a flaw, a weakness, a struggle and uses it to cut you up; or perhaps they make up their dagger-words with no regard to truth. But what all of us have in common is that we have been wounded by words from friends, family, fellow-believers, and others.

Whoever made up the statement "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me," had lost touch with all reality.

From the moment that David came to the palace, from the time he stood toe to toe with Goliath, David was the subject of lies, insults, betrayal and evil plots. Men whom he had never wronged determined to destroy him, using every shameful tactic in the book. I'm sure it hurt David as much as it hurts you and me when someone skewers us with unkindness.

But David had learned the secret of dealing with the savage words, the wounds of betrayal. He took them to God, pouring out his heart asking for God's strength and protection.

In Psalm 38, David was repenting of his sin; doing so in a beautiful and powerful way. Of course, whenever we walk in sin we give our enemies weapons to use against us; ammunition for their attacks. But David was not afraid, once he had repented, to call to God for help from these attacks. Our faults and our sins are serious and must be dealt with, but they do not give permission to others to verbally abuse us nor do they negate God's protection on us when we are attacked.
For I said, “Don’t let them rejoice over me—
those who are arrogant toward me when I stumble.”
For I am about to fall,
and my pain is constantly with me.
So I confess my iniquity;
I am anxious because of my sin.
But my enemies are vigorous and powerful;
many hate me for no reason. Psalm 38:16-19

Take your burdens to the Lord. Sometimes people will unfairly attack you and hurt you, but you can take that to the Lord. Sometimes they will use your faults and failings as ammunition for those attacks, but still you can go to the Lord. He is our help, our strength, our comfort. Yes, he will confront us with our sin when necessary, but he will never condemn us. Nor will he stand by idly while others condemn us unjustly. 
Lord, do not abandon me;
my God, do not be far from me.
Hurry to help me,
my Lord, my salvation! Psalm 38:21-22
God will never abandon his children - not even when we have messed up royally as David did. He was on his face repenting here, but he still knew that he could call to God for protection and help. 

Our Father in heaven is an excellent father!

Father, I have given my enemies so much ammunition through the years. But I thank you that you are faithful, that there is no condemnation in you! You bring me to repentance to restore me, to lift me up. Help me to always walk in humility, but also in the confidence that you are my rock and my salvation!

Think and Pray


Do you hold on to that important balance?
You are not sinless and should never pretend you are or deny your failures, but neither should you be defined by or hindered by the criticisms of critics, those who seek to drag you down.
Think through what it means to be both humble about your own sin and confident in the grace of Christ.
As you think of the words of others that wound you, think as well of your words and see that they do not wound others.

No comments:

Post a Comment