Thursday, March 22, 2018

"My Strength and Shield" March 22 Readings: Psalm 25, 28, 33, 36, 39


Today's Reading - Psalm 25, 28, 33, 36, 39


Background


More Psalms of David, calling out to God. David's songs express his heart, his emotions - everything he is going through directly to God.

Devotional - My Strength and Shield 


Two things come to mind when you consider the life of David, the Psalmist. First, from the moment he was accosted by and anointed by Samuel to be the King of Israel, his life was difficult. Later he was the cause of some of his own problems when he sinned with Bathsheba, but early on he was the victim of the jealousy and evil of an increasingly unstable man, King Saul. Saul pursued him, harassed him, lied about him, and repeatedly tried to kill him. David spent time hiding out in caves and living in exile because of Saul's envy and hatred.

But the most notable thing about David was that he took his pain to God. That is what the Psalms are all about. A friend of mine recently observed that it didn't matter how David felt or what was going on in his life, he sang praises to God no matter what. My friend is right. When David was happy he went to God. When David was angry he went to God. When people betrayed him he took it to God. When enemies threatened him he called on God for help.

And God helped him. Every time. In Psalm 28:7-8, David spells out some of the help he received from the hand of The Lord.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;
    in him my heart trusts, and I am helped;
my heart exults,
    and with my song I give thanks to him.

The Lord is the strength of his people;
    he is the saving refuge of his anointed.
When I am weak and I struggle to see how I can make it through another day, the Lord is my strength.

When enemies attack me as they did David, I am not alone. Yahweh is my shield and I am protected!

When I trust in God and depend on him I know that whatever help I truly need I will receive. I may not get all that I want but I will have all that I need. 

When life is confusing, overwhelming, stressful or discouraging, I know that there is a stronghold to which I can run, a place of peace and calm, a refuge from life's storms. That refuge is not a place, but a person. Yahweh is my strength and my stronghold. 

David knew that life would not always be easy, but he knew that whatever came he could trust in God and he would be helped!

Thank you, Lord, that whenever I trust in you, I find help. You are my strength, you are my protection. You are my refuge. 

Think and Pray


Do you trust God fully and completely?
When things go wrong and the world is falling apart, is your faith in him unshaken?

No comments:

Post a Comment