Sunday, January 7, 2018

"Hateful Words" January 7 Readings: Job 15-18


Today's Reading -  Job 15-18


Background


What was the core problem with the theology of Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar? They, like almost everyone who proclaims false doctrine, had a nugget of truth in their message. Tragedy and hardship is a product of sin. Adam and Eve's rebellion brought a curse. Disease, disaster, and death all find their roots in the sin of mankind. But they posited a one-to-one correspondence. If I do good things, only good things will happen to me. If bad things happen, it is because I did bad things.

But life isn't like that. Innocent children get sick and depraved sickos win the lottery. Job's friends were absolutely correct that his hardships were a result of sin, but they erred when they insisted that Job's sufferings were caused by HIS sin.

This second of the three cycles of speeches shows increasing hostility on all sides - Job becomes angrier as his friends become more dogmatic and direct.

Devotional


Have you ever been falsely accused?

I have sat in my office and had people vent their anger on me. I know that as a sinner I am more than worthy of criticism, but often the things that people dump on me are petty and self-serving. But it hurts. It cuts deeply - to the heart and soul.

Job's friends' accusations against him were false. They were loud, dogmatic, and pointed, but they were wrong. An educated man with great wisdom such as Eliphaz can be wrong. A blustery blowhard like Bildad can shout louder than anyone else, but still be wrong. Even the sincere, passionate, zealous Zophar can be wrong.

In Job 15:4, Eliphaz explained all of Job's troubles. He had lost the fear of God and was being punished for it. This is why Job was becoming increasingly angry. He had lived in the fear of the Lord and felt the unfairness of it all.

Job made a huge mistake - understandable and natural, but a mistake still. He answered back. He argued. He fought back. He tried to defend his honor and demean his attackers. In chapter 16, verses 2-3, he calls them "miserable comforters" and questions their "empty (literally windy) words

He made the fundamental mistake that we all tend to make when we come under the glare of criticism. We forget that it is God's judgment that matters, and his alone. People say that. "Only God can judge me." But it is a life-changing truth.

Not related to today's lesson, but when you claim "only God can judge me," remember that a holy God does call us to account. "Only God can judge me" is not the same as, "I can do as I please."

But when we are criticized, we ought to remember that God's opinion is the one that matters. We ought to be kind to others and never be callous toward their feelings, but we must not be slaves to others' opinions. Our lives must be shaped by God's word and his view of us.

Who am I in God's eyes? I am loved! I am redeemed! I am adopted, justified, reborn, renewed, recreated and clothed in the righteousness of Christ. I may still be a sinner and fail every day, but my destiny is determined by Christ's merit not my own. When the world brings its worst against me I rest in the best that Christ gives.

Anger gripped Job because he reacted to his friend's definition of him. He did not look to God, but listened to them - and that is the path of anger.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Thank you God that it is your loving grace that defines me, not the hate and criticisms of men! 

Think and Pray

Are you devastated when someone criticizes you?
That is a sign that you define yourself by the opinions of others instead of by who you are in Christ - a common but deadly spiritual trap.
Let the truth of God's word and work of Christ define you.

No comments:

Post a Comment