Sunday, November 19, 2017

"In the Mirror" November 19 Readings: Ezekiel 43-44, Hebrews 11:1–14, Psalm 126, Proverbs 28:12–14



Today's Readings - Ezekiel 43-44, Hebrews 11:1–14, Psalm 126, Proverbs 28:12–14


Devotional 


Links to Today's Readings

"Christians need to be more positive, to spend less time focusing on sin and judgment and more time focusing on God's love, acceptance and grace."
It sounds great, doesn't it? I don't like to think about my own failures and the guilt of my sins. Just as I don't like to look at myself in the mirror first thing in the morning, I don't much like it when God's word holds a mirror to my soul and I see the filth and wickedness within. Of course, I'd rather think about the good things. I'd love to ignore my sin and only ponder the positives.

But there is a problem with that attitude which is so prevalent today. According to Proverbs 28:13, if we ignore sin we can never receive the blessings of God.
The one who conceals his sins will not prosper,
but whoever confesses and renounces them will find mercy.
We can never prosper or grow spiritually by ignoring our sins or hiding them. It is only as we honestly look at them, confessing renouncing them before God, that we find mercy and grace. Hidden sin is never healed. There is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus, but there is no blessing for those who fail to face and admit their sin, either. 

The first step on the path of blessing is confession, repentance - taking a long, hard look at myself in the mirror of the word and admit the reality of my depravity. The pretense, denial, self-justification, and rationalization must go as pride melts away. It is by wandering through the darkness of confession and repentance that we find the light of forgiveness. 

Today, as you pray, let the Spirit examine you and show you your heart - no artifice, no denial, just an honest look at the depths of your sin. Through that painful pursuit lies the path to joy, to hope, to forgiveness and to God's merciful bounty. This is not morbid. It is beautiful! It reminds you that it's not you, it's HIM! It's not works, it's grace! It's not earned, it's a gift. You will be filled with gratitude and moved to worship and to walk in holiness. 

Father, show me my heart, that by repentance I might know your mercy more fully every day. 

Think and Pray


Open yourself to the Spirit's searchlight today.
Confession is both general (I am sinful) and specific (I commit this sin).
Confess your sin to God that you might prosper spiritually.


No comments:

Post a Comment