Friday, October 13, 2017

"Failures, Destined for Glory" October 13 Readings: Jeremiah 29-30, Philippians 1:1–18, Psalm 116:11–19, Proverbs 25:3–4



Today's Readings - Jeremiah 29-30, Philippians 1:1–18, Psalm 116:11–19, Proverbs 25:3–4


Devotional 


I have been a Christian now for over 5 decades. I knelt in prayer to put my faith in Christ as a child of 6, as my dad read a book called "Little Pilgrim's Progress." I realized that I, like little Christian in the story, needed to take my burden of sin to Calvary and lay it there.

In the half a century that has transpired since I knelt by my bed in Cedar Rapids to trust Christ, I have failed my Savior more times than I want to think about. In some ways, I look back on my years of squandered opportunities, misplaced priorities, shirked responsibilities and so many heart issues I cannot count them as a giant failure. I avoided a lot of the big physical sins, but my heart has been so full of myself, and sin, and this world - way more than it should have been.

Many is the time I have wondered why God even bothers with me. Why does he keep working with me, giving me chances, renewing me? If someone let me down a tenth of the times I've let him down, a hundredth, I'd give up on them and walk away. God has never done that. Though I've failed him, his love and faithfulness endures. 

And in this world, there are always those who are quick to point out our flaws and to withhold grace - even within the church. Though there is no condemnation in Christ, there is plenty of it in ourselves and from others. 

That is why I love Philippians 1:6. Certainly, we can never use God's faithfulness as an excuse for sin and careless living. But with all the problems I have run into in my life, with all my faults and failings as a Christian, I have the confidence that this verse is a word from God about my life.
I am sure of this, that he who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. 
God knew I would mess up so he didn't leave it up to me. As my salvation was a work of Christ so is the culmination of the process. He started it all and he will finish the work.

My goal now is to cooperate with the work of Christ instead of fighting against it. I want to be a willing subject, clay in the Potter's hand, to be molded after the pattern of his will. Since my destiny is settled by God's grace, I may as well give in to the Lordship of Christ and yield fully to the power of God every day!

Father, thank you for your son who not only began his work of glory in me but has promised to culminate that work. I am thankful that my salvation depends on you and not me.

Think and Pray

Are you relying on the grace of God daily for your strength?
While self-evaluation is helpful as a believer, we must never engage in self-condemnation. Jesus paid it all and to condemn ourselves is to insult his blood!





No comments:

Post a Comment