Monday, July 31, 2017

"Mad at God" July 31 Readings: Job 11-12, Acts 23:12–35, Psalm 89:21–27, Proverbs 19:5–6



Today's Readings - Job 11-12, Acts 23:12–35, Psalm 89:21–27, Proverbs 19:5–6

(Fair Warning - this is more of a short sermon than a "devotional" - but I feel it's important)

Devotional 



Have you ever been mad at God?

Of course, you were raised in the church and you know better to call it that, right? You are discouraged, depressed, down-hearted, disappointed - and probably several other words that start with d! Life hasn't gone the way you want and you feel you've gotten a raw deal. You may take in out on your spouse and kids, or on the guy who cuts you off in traffic.

But at the root of it, the person you are angry at is God. You thought if you gave your life to him he would come through in ways he hasn't. You thought he would provide things he hasn't provide, deliver in ways he hasn't delivered, protect you from things he hasn't protected you from.

I've gone through times in my life when I was mad at God - deep in my heart. I might not have admitted it to myself, but that is where I was. Angry. Upset. Hurt. Why, God?

I remember a time during my previous pastorate when I was invited to a "party" at the church. I was in a deep funk and didn't want to be around anyway. I wanted to stay home, but had to go. When I did I sequestered myself in my office because I didn't want to be around anyone else. All my expectations at that church had come crashing down around me. After a time of genuine revival and renewal, there was one crisis after another arising - out of nowhere. At one point I counted 8 major problems that had arisen within the congregation and I couldn't understand it. I felt like God had let me down.

At that moment, though, I didn't realize that was what I was feeling. I was blue and I hated life! So, I hid in my office. There was a knock on the door and all the young couples came inside. I found out that this was not just a party, it was a "Pastor Appreciation" party. I felt stupid!

Job knew what it was like to blame God for the bad times in his life. As his three "friends" dropped the hammer on him, as they blamed him and said that his problems were his own fault, God's punishment for his sin, Job began to lose hope and lose perspective. He was growing angry at God. There were two things that Job knew.

1) He knew that God was in control and that what was happening to him was not outside of God's sovereign work.
Which of all these does not know
that the hand of the Lord has done this?  Job 12:9

Though Satan was the agent of the destruction, God permitted the suffering for his own reasons and never shirked responsibility. We ought never assume when we suffer that somehow Satan did an end-run around the plan of God. Job did well to remember that God is in charge in this world. 

2) What he had forgotten was the goodness of God!

He had lost sight of the fact that the sovereign God is also the good God. 
Whatever he tears down cannot be rebuilt;
whoever he imprisons cannot be released.
When he withholds water, everything dries up,
and when he releases it, it destroys the land. Job 12:14-15
The God he had joyfully worshiped is now a God who "tears down" and "imprisons." He works to dry up a man's life - to "withhold." He no longer believes that God has his best interests at heart. Read verses 16-25. It is not that these verses are inherently untrue - God does at times bring down the haughty and arrogant. But the problem here is that Job now views God as a capricious and cruel God who is messing with him for entertainment. 

Life makes it hard to hold on to both of these truths. God is God and God is good. He is the sovereign ruler of this world and he is a good God. There are many times when my life gives no evidence of that goodness. When Job's life lost evidence of God's goodness he stopped believing in it. We must hold on to this belief by faith when we cannot know it by sight. 

When there is little evidence in my life of the relentless goodness of God, when I cannot see how this impossible situation can work out, when I do not understand how God can bring his glory and my good from this tragedy, when I'm losing hope and out of joy - that is when I need to hold on to the hope of Jesus by faith. I need to believe the Bible and what it says. I need to hold on to the truth that God will reveal himself in time!

A year and a half ago, I was angry and feeling abandoned by God (again - you think I'd learn). The details are not important here, but it had to do with a real estate deal that went south. Why was God angry at me? Why was he punishing me? Why? In a month, my granddaughter  (and her parents) will move into that home and will grow up there. God had a plan all along, one I could not see. All the things I thought were God's punishment were his rod and staff guiding me! He is a good shepherd. My job is to stop being such a difficult sheep!



Father, next time, help me to trust you and remember that you are good, even when I cannot see it!

Think and Pray


No comments:

Post a Comment