Saturday, June 10, 2017

"Clean Feet" June 10 Readings: 1 Chronicles 1-5 , John 13:1–20, Psalm 72:4–10, Proverbs 14:31–32



Today's Readings - 1 Chronicles 1-5, John 13:1–20, Psalm 72:4–10, Proverbs 14:31–32


Devotional 


Peter did it again. Once more he put his foot in his mouth as he reacted to Jesus Christ. This time, in John 13:1-11, his response was to Jesus washing his feet. At first, he was horrified that the Master would do something so degrading as to take a cloth and wash the disciples' feet. That was lowly, for the servants, beneath him. No matter how many times Jesus had taught about servant-leadership it just never seemed to get through to these guys.

But Jesus spoke, in verse 8, of the necessity of the kind of cleansing Jesus was doing. Peter would "have no part in me" if he did not submit to the cleansing.

To his credit, Peter wanted what Jesus was offering. In fact, in verse 9 he took it one step farther.
"Lord, not only my feet, but also my hands and my head." 
I want it all! Wash me from head to toe, Jesus. That was a noble sentiment, but Jesus told him that it was as wrong as the first thought. He needed to be cleansed, but not to be bathed.
"One who has bathed does not need to wash anything except his feet." 
Have you ever wondered why we preach that our sins have all been forgiven in Christ, and yet we also tell folks that they need to confess their sins regularly, daily? Jesus' words here draw that distinction pretty well.

I have been bathed in the cleansing power of Christ, plunged into the fountain drawn from Immanuel's vein, and like all sinners, have lost all my guilty stain. At the moment I trusted Christ as my Savior, so many years ago, I received complete, full and unmeasured forgiveness for all my sins - those I had committed previously and every sin I would ever commit until the day I die. I was washed in the blood of the Lamb and no other sacrifice for sin is every needed to pay completely for my transgressions.

But still, as I walk through the day, I get some of the dirt of this world on my feet. I'm still a sinner after all. So, having been bathed, I go to Jesus to have my feet washed. I confess my sin and he is faithful and just to forgive my sin and cleanse me from all unrighteousness.

The forgiveness of sin is both eternal and temporal. I am forgiven in Christ of all my sins, but I still need forgiveness from Christ on a daily basis.
Father, I thank you that my sins are paid for and that I have been bathed in the blood of Christ that never loses its power to save. Thank you, Lord. But I also confess my sin to you today and ask for your forgiveness and grace for this day. Lord, you have bathed me in your grace. Now, with that same grace, I ask you to wash my feet. 

Think and Pray


What of the world's dirt has collected on your feet?
Having been cleansed, forgiven, redeemed by the blood of the Lamb, remember to seek the cleansing power of Christ within for the daily dirt of this world.





No comments:

Post a Comment