Thursday, June 15, 2017

"Bitter Folly" June 15 Readings: 1 Chronicles 16-17, John 16:16–33, Psalm 73:18–24, Proverbs 15:8–9



Today's Readings - 1 Chronicles 16-17, John 16:16–33, Psalm 73:18–24, Proverbs 15:8–9


Devotional 


Life can be pretty tough in this sinful world. We encounter hardships, tragedies, and disappointments regularly. But perhaps the greatest struggle comes when people do us wrong; when they treat us badly or hurt us deeply.

Psalm 73 was written for just such a situation. The entire Psalm has been about the general unfairness of life in a world where the evil sometimes prosper and good people are left to suffer. God's justice will one day rule every aspect of this world, but this is not that day. In this day those who walk with God can often experience terrible suffering and pain.

All too often, those who experience that pain find themselves angry and bitter over their suffering. Life isn't fair! How could he (or she)? I didn't deserve that! It's just not right. The unfairness of it all builds up in our spirits and we become angry. Eventually, that anger, if not properly dealt with, can turn to a bitterness of spirit - the poison of the soul.

That is exactly what happened to the Psalmist here in verses 21-22.
When my soul was embittered,
    when I was pricked in heart,
 I was brutish and ignorant;
    I was like a beast toward you.

Because his spirit was wounded, he became bitter. The result of that is expressed in stark terms - "I was brutish and ignorant." That is not a compliment, of course, but it is accurate as a description of the embittered person. When I allow bitterness to overcome my soul, several things happen.
  • I end up punishing myself for the sins and wrongdoings of another. 
  • I allow that person to control my future even as he or she has damaged my past. 
  • I lose the capacity to enjoy life and to grow spiritually. 
There are many more effects I could mention. To put it simply, bitterness is foolish and self-destructive.

It also, according to verse 22, turns us into animals. An animal reacts on instinct to situations. He does not think or consider what is best. When we are bitter, we react like animals, controlled by our anger and hate rather than by the love of Jesus Christ.

The Psalmist makes it clear what the solution is to bitterness. In verses 23-28 he describes how he sought God and found refuge in him. Verse 28 sums it all up.
But for me it is good to be near God;
    I have made the Lord God my refuge,
    that I may tell of all your works.

 Instead of resorting to bitterness, which is self-destructive and stupid (according to verse 22), look to God for strength, joy, comfort, peace and love. 
Father, I thank you that you there with me even when others treat me badly or life is hard. 

Think and Pray


Is there any area in which bitterness, anger, unforgiveness and grudges have created spiritual bondage in your life?
Confess and forsake any bitterness.




No comments:

Post a Comment