Sunday, April 9, 2017

"Why Can't i Do What I Want?" April 9 Readings: Joshua 23-24, Luke 8:40–56, Psalm 44:22–26, Proverbs 10-21-22



Today's Readings - Joshua 23-24, Luke 8:40–56, Psalm 44:22–26, Proverbs 10-21-22


Devotional 


Why can't I just do what I want?

That is the spirit of our times, even among Christians. I'm going to do what I feel like doing and no one is going to tell me what I should do. Doesn't God want me to be happy? Would he really ask me to do something hard, something I don't want to do, something that makes me sacrifice and struggle?

Well, yes. He would.

In fact, it is the fundamental issue of Christianity - who is going to rule in your life? Those who enter a relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ must give over the reigns of their lives to the one who purchased their souls with his blood!

But let's return to the original question. Why can't I just do as I please? What gives God the right to tell me what to do? Joshua answered this question in Joshua 23-24 for the people of Israel. They were constantly tempted (and often gave in to that temptation) to wander from God and serve the gods of the nations. So Joshua explained to them why that was unthinkable.

In all of chapter 23 and in verses 1-13 of chapter 24, Joshua reminded them of all that God had done for them. Look at just a few of the blessings of God Joshua mentioned.


For the Lord has driven out before you great and strong nations. And as for you, no man has been able to stand before you to this day. One man of you puts to flight a thousand, since it is the Lord your God who fights for you, just as he promised you. 23:9-10
As they left Egypt, wandered through the desert for 40 years and as they embarked upon their conquest of Canaan, it was God who went before them and empowered them. In God's power they could do all God commanded. It was God who was fighting for them.


It is also God who fights for us. He secured our salvation by his grace, washed away our sins in the blood of his Son and empowers our lives daily by his Holy Spirit. We can be all God wants us to be and do all God calls us to do because as with Israel, God is fighting for us. 

And now I am about to go the way of all the earth, and you know in your hearts and souls, all of you, that not one word has failed of all the good things that the Lord your God promised concerning you. All have come to pass for you; not one of them has failed. 23:14

God had never failed them, not a single time and not in a single way. And he has never failed us as well. I have failed him hundreds of times; no, thousands. Millions? But he has never failed me. That doesn't mean everything is always easy or that everything works out simply, but it does mean that God is faithful and good. He never fails. 

And I sent the hornet before you, which drove them out before you, the two kings of the Amorites; it was not by your sword or by your bow. I gave you a land on which you had not labored and cities that you had not built, and you dwell in them. You eat the fruit of vineyards and olive orchards that you did not plant.  24:12-13
That is what they call grace, amazing grace. God gave Israel victory, but it was not by their swords or bows, or by their labor. God gave them cities they did not build and vineyards and olive groves they did not plant. They experience blessings that came from God's power and work, not their own. 

That is a pretty good description of the Christian life. We experience what we do not deserve, cannot earn and will never merit. It is by God's power, God's work, and God's love that we live. It is a wonderful life of grace. 

And that was the reason that Israel couldn't just do as they pleased! When God is that good, how could we tell him to take a hike and let us do our own thing? 
To put it simply, the goodness of God in our lives requires a response of obedience and submission!
How spoiled a child of God would I be if I said to the God of all goodness, "Thank you for all you've done for me. I'll see you in heaven one day, but right now, please leave me alone and let me do whatever I want." That just does not work. God's goodness requires a response - an obedient response. 
Father, too often I've acted like Israel, living for myself in spite of all your goodness. Lord, help me to live in obedience and fidelity to you in light of your faithfulness, love, mercy and grace. 

Think and Pray







No comments:

Post a Comment