Tuesday, April 18, 2017

"Wasteful Worrying" April 18 Readings: Judges 19-21, Luke 12:22–34, Psalm 49:1–10, Proverbs 11:7-8



Today's Readings - Judges 19-21, Luke 12:22–34, Psalm 49:1–10, Proverbs 11:7-8


Devotional 


There are few commandments of Scripture that I violate more regularly than Luke 12:22.
Therefore I tell you, don't worry about your life.
Jesus is talking specifically here about the basic needs of life - food, clothing, shelter. But the principle goes beyond that. Worry is such a common reality in my life - worry about money, about the future, about what is happening at the church, about my family, about so many things, about what people think of me and whether they like me. How many of you understand what I'm talking about when I say I sometimes walk around with this knot in the pit of my stomach? The worry-knot?

And it is not just a sin, it is a complete waste. In verses 23-34, Jesus set forth some powerful thoughts about the pointlessness of worry for the children of God.

First, worry demonstrates that my priorities are messed up. There is more to life than the things I worry about (verse 22). When I am worrying about the things I worry about, it is clear that I am not seeking God or focusing on the big issues of his kingdom. I cannot trust God and be devoted to him while worrying at the same time. I need to remember that these worrisome issues are of less importance than the things of God.

Second, worry is useless because God loves and cares about me (verse 24,28). If my wife and I had the money we had spent on helping out our kids, we'd be living on easy street. But there is nothing we wouldn't do to help them. If we have something and they need something they are going to get what we have. Is not God a more loving Father than I? He cares about me and is not going to ignore my needs.

Third, worrying accomplishes nothing (verse 25). Worrying cannot add a cubit to my height, nor can it solve any of the issues I face. It is the most pointless, useless, stupid waste of energy in my life. Most of the stuff I worry about I can't control, so what good does worry do. And if I can do something about it, I should DO something. Worrying is unproductive.

Fourth, worry usurps God's sovereignty (verse 26). God is in control and when I worry, I am acting as if I believe that I am, that it is all up to me. If I'm not able to do little things, why waste my time worrying about the big things that are in God's hands?

Fifth, God, our good Father, is a masterful provider (verses 27-28). He provides clothes for the wildflowers and grass, he will provide all that we need. "I've never seen the righteous forsaken or their seed begging for bread."

Sixth, worry is a marker of the world's sinful values (verse 30). The "Gentiles" seek the things of this world, but our hearts and minds are to be focused on something higher and more noble - the kingdom of God - knowing that God will add what we need as we do.

Why on earth, knowing all of these truths, would I ever worry about anything?

Father, worry is one of my greatest sins. Because it is so common I might be tempted to think it is not a big deal. But it is an insult to your excellent provision as my Heavenly Father and I am sorry for my failure to remember your goodness and grace. Help me in my weakness to trust in you. 

Think and Pray




Are you a worrier?
When you are worrying, are you focusing on God and his power and goodness?
Remind yourself of the truths about the wastefulness of worry.
Review the other truths Jesus teaches and think and pray through them in your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment