Wednesday, April 26, 2017

"Nine, or One?" April 26 Readings: 1 Samuel 11-12, Luke 17:1–19, Psalm 51:15–19, Proverbs 11:23-24



Today's Readings - 1 Samuel 11-12, Luke 17:1–19, Psalm 51:15–19, Proverbs 11:23-24


Devotional 


In one of the better known stories of the life of Jesus, one that we tell our children often, Luke 17:11-19 records the story of Jesus healing ten lepers. Each of them returns to their lives rejoicing in the fact that they are no longer exiled and ostracized from home and family. It is my guess that each of them was immensely grateful to the one who had healed them.

But only one of them bothered to take the time to go back to Jesus and actually express that thanksgiving. The other nine were not evil, ungrateful or thoughtless jerks. They just forgot to take the time to tell the Healer how thankful they were to be healed. I'm guessing they were so excited to go home and tell their families the good news that they just forgot. But whatever the reason. They forgot. They did not return to say thank you to the Savior.

That is me, far too often.

I have a few issues going on in my life right now - some stresses, trials, heartaches and burdens. That is called normal, I guess. But I also have a truckload of blessings that have come from the hand of God. If I lost everything else in this world, I would still have Jesus who saved me and gave me forgiveness, reconciliation with God and an eternal home in heaven. If there was nothing else, I could spend all day giving thanks for that. But there is so much else. My home and family. My job and my church (for me, those are actually the same thing). God answers prayer and provides for my needs. My life has been one blessing after another.

But I tend to forget that. I've spent yesterday brooding, moody, thinking about some people who have hurt me and the pain that has caused. I never stopped to thank God for the blessings he has given me that vastly outweigh my hurts - even on my worst day.
Count your blessings, name them one by one.
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done. 
The words to that hymn are a fitting warning to me. I need to count my blessings day by day to remind myself that God's work in and through me is always more intense than whatever opposition I might face. God's grace is more powerful than life's hardships. God's goodness is more significant that people's meanness.

Father, forgive me for how often I've been among the nine, those that receive your blessings but fail to thank you for them. Thank you for every good and perfect gift which flows from you. Help me to consider your goodness and give thanks for it. 

Think and Pray


Are you constantly grateful to God for his grace, or are you more like the  nine who failed to thank him?

No comments:

Post a Comment