Thursday, March 16, 2017

"Amazing Grace" March 16 Readings: Deuteronomy 9-10, Mark 14:1–25, Psalm 35:21–28, Proverbs 8:24-25



Today's Readings - Deuteronomy 9-10, Mark 14:1–25, Psalm 35:21–28, Proverbs 8:24-25


Devotional 


Why did God call Israel to be his own? Was it because they were better than other nations, because their armies were stronger or their people smarter? Were they just simply more righteous, more godly than other nations? God answers that question in no uncertain terms in Deuteronomy 9:1-6.

He begins the passage with a wonderful promise - that he was going to give them the land, chasing the powerful enemies out.
But understand that today the Lord your God will cross over ahead of you as a consuming fire; He will devastate and subdue them before you. You will drive them out and destroy them swiftly, as the Lord has told you. Deuteronomy 9:3
But then he gave Israel a warning. 
When the Lord your God drives them out before you, do not say to yourself, ‘The Lord brought me in to take possession of this land because of my righteousness.’ Deuteronomy 9:4
Do not fall prey to unwarranted arrogance, God admonished them. It would not be the righteousness of Israel that would be the root of their conquest of Canaan. It would be the power of God. In fact, God goes a step farther in verse 6. 
Understand that the Lord your God is not giving you this good land to possess because of your righteousness, for you are a stiff-necked people. Deuteronomy 9:6
Israel was a stiff-necked, rebellious and sinful nation, chosen by God's grace and kept by God's power. They were spiritual beggars who only succeeded due to the mercy of God. But too often they became arrogant, looking down on other nations as if it was their own goodness that won them favor with God. When God did amazing things among them they often took credit and acted as if they had accomplished it by their own strength.

I am prone to that same flaw, arrogantly forgetting that I am just a spiritual beggar who has received life by God's mercy alone. God saw no merit, no righteousness, no inner qualities that caused God to love me. In fact, like Israel I am rebellious, self-centered, wayward - all sorts of sinful things.

But God has worked in me, changed me, used me in his work. I am all too prone to behave like Israel and take credit for what God does in me. I am always a beggar, living on the mercy of God, but sometimes I forget that and become an arrogant beggar.

God's warning to Israel is also his warning to us. "I did not choose you because of your greatness, but because of mine! I will display my power through you but you must never rob me of my glory or take credit for my amazing deeds."

Father, I am a beggar - a sinner unworthy of your love and mercy. But you have blessed this beggar with life and hope and all good things. Forgive me for when I have credited myself with your goodness, when my arrogance has caused me to forget my beggarliness. Thank you for all you have done. 

Think and Pray


Remember today that you are God's not because of your merit but because of God's grace. Give thanks for that grace today.




No comments:

Post a Comment