Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Creation to Christ: Reading 51 – September 27, 2016 – Romans 1:16-17, 3:21-31, A Righteousness by Faith




Today’s Readings


Context 


The most glaring break between the church and Judaism took place on the basis of the teaching Paul championed - salvation by grace through faith alone, apart from the works of the law. In Romans 1:16-17, Paul declares his passion for the gospel he preached, because it was the power of God to save everyone - Jew and Gentile alike.

Then, in Romans 1:18-3:20, he makes the clear case that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. That is why we need a righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. In Romans 3:21-31, Paul introduces this new righteousness that is so different from that which comes from works, from the law. It flows from God, it is rooted in the righteousness of God, and it is appropriated by faith alone. Works have no part in salvation; they are a product of it.

Our text today tells us not only the effects of the gospel (Romans 1:16-17) but describes its nature and character.

It's greatness is seen in that it allows Christ to be both "just" and the "justifier." God cannot simply ignore sin - he had to deal with it. That is what Jesus did. He permanently and eternally dealt with human sin by paying its debt himself. By paying for our sins he could justify and save us while still satisfying God's righteous wrath against sin. 

Devotional - Boasting Prohibited


I can remember the bumper sticker clearly. "Proud to be a Christian." That is an oxymoron. You can be proud. And you can be Christian, but you cannot be both. A proper understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ absolutely, totally and eternally precludes any boasting on my part. I understand that the person with the bumper sticker may have had something else in mind - that he was not ashamed of his (or her) faith, that he would not apologize for his convictions. Perhaps. But it is a crucial point. Pride is the opposite of Christianity!

Paul made this clear in Romans 3:27.
Where then is boasting? It is excluded. 
Paul devoted chapters 1-3 to stating our utterly helpless position before God. We have all sinned and are guilty, Jews and Greeks alike. And in verses 21-26 he spelled out the real theme of the entire book of Romans. Now, God has revealed to us a righteousness that is not based on our works, our ability to keep the Law, or our merit. It is now based on God's grace and comes to us by faith.

And that, Paul concludes, leaves no room for boasting. I am no better, no more worthy, in no better standing before God (on my own) than are the despicable sinners of this world. I am as incapable of saving myself as the lowest lowlife on the planet. Anything I might be, anything I might become, any merit or good in me is a product of the grace of God.

Boasting about it just makes no sense!

There is a great scene in Revelation in which the saints who have earned crowns come and lay them at the feet of Christ. How appropriate. My place in heaven was secured by Christ's death on the Cross, not anything I have done. It is the indwelling Holy Spirit who is at work to make me holy, to conform me to Christ. If anything good happens, it is the work of God and any rewards I might earn belong to him!

So, why wait? One day we will lay our crowns at the feet of Christ. Why not do so, at least symbolically, today? Humble yourself before the God and Heaven and thank him for all he has done for you. Give credit where credit is due. Thank him for everything!

Father, I am nothing without you. My soul is redeemed by the blood of your Son, my destiny is settled by his resurrection, my life is powered by your Spirit. It is all you, God. Forgive me for any moment when I have taken credit myself for the work that you have done. 

Think and Pray

Thank God for a salvation that is rooted in Christ's work, not your works.
Remember that the gospel holds the power of God to save and to transform. Never be afraid to proclaim Christ crucified and risen!

No comments:

Post a Comment