Thursday, September 15, 2016

Creation to Christ: Reading 39 – September 15, 2016 – Matthew 5:17-20, Romans 8:1-4, Jesus Fulfills the Law




Today’s Readings


Context 


In his constant battles with the Pharisees and other religionists, Jesus was subjected to a constant criticism - lawbreaker! He did not follow the rules and because of that they condemned him. "See, he doesn't wash his hands the way we say you have to." "Look, he picks grain on the Sabbath." During his public ministry, Jesus not only engaged in a constant war with the religionists, but he intentionally provoked them by breaking their human laws. 

But in Matthew 5:17-20 he made it clear that it was only the human additions to the law the that he was breaking. Rather, he came to fulfill them. He was the only one who could fulfill them. Jesus was the one human being in history who completely and totally fulfilled the law every day of his life. He was the only sinless person ever. 

In Romans 8, Paul tells us that through Christ, the "righteous requirements of the law" might be met in us. There are two ideas in that passage. First, it is Jesus whose righteousness met the requirements of the law for us. We are clothed in his righteousness - he kept the law because we could not. He died for our sins and by faith we receive his righteousness. 

But when we receive that righteousness, through the internal work of the Spirit we are able to begin to live out the way of Christ - not under slavery to the law but in obedience to the Lordship of Christ. Through the Spirit we can begin to live lives the law could never produce. 

Devotional 


In the grand scheme of things, I would probably be considered a pretty good person. The worst my teachers tended to say about me in school was "Dave talks too much" - something that I know surprises all who know me. I remember cheating on a fourth grade test on state capitols and felt so guilty I never cheated again. I even got cussed out in high school because I wouldn't allow a pretty girl named Patty to cheat off my exam. I've had a few speeding tickets and I once got threatened with arrest in Dallas - for jaywalking. They evidently take jaywalking pretty seriously in Dallas.

I've never robbed a bank. I've never committed adultery or murder (for our purposes, I will leave out Jesus' "in the heart" provisions in Matthew 5). I've paid my taxes, paid my bills, been faithful to my wife, tried to treat people with basic respect.

But I also know my heart. I know the insecurities, the anger, the lust, greed, pride, and all the other wickedness that abides inside. Being raised in a Christian home, receiving loving discipline, and having come to know Christ early in my life, I've kept my sin beneath the surface. But it is there. It is real. I have absolutely no trouble believing the verse that I have "sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."

Some of us sin openly, brazenly, belligerently. Some of us keep our sin on the inside while the outside looks sweet, nice, and orderly. But the heart is deceptive, the spirit is depraved, and our minds are deceived. We have sinned and we are separated from God, under God's wrath, and helpless to fix our spiritual condition. All have sinned. All fall short. Some people are nicer than others. Some sinners embrace sin more enthusiastically. But all have sinned and all fall short.

And sin cannot dwell in God's holy presence. James says if we fail in one part of the law we have broken its entirety. We may not all be equally wicked but we are equally guilty before the law of God and equally threatened by the eternal wrath of God - whether someone is a "good little boy" like I was or someone is an out-and-out bad person.

Jesus was the exception. Born of a virgin, he was the sinless Son of God. From conception until the moment he was nailed to the Cross, Jesus was the only man to fully obey the law, to fulfill its righteous requirements without a single slip-up - not in thought, in word, or in deed. Perfection. Sinless. Relentless goodness. He not only resisted the temptation in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights, but for the entire course of his life.

Jesus earned a place in heaven - the thing that you and I could not do. He did not sin or fall short of the glory of God. Having fulfilled the law and the glory of God he gave himself over to death in our place, paying for our sins. Jesus could only pay for our sins because he had none of his own. Had he committed one small sin he'd have had to die for his sins. But the perfect, sinless Son was able to be the Lamb of God and was slain for my sins and yours.

Father, I thank you that your Son paid for my sins and that I am clothed in his righteousness. A sinner like me can be clothed in the righteousness of a perfect man like Christ, and all I can do is praise you forever. 

Think and Pray


Spend time thanking God that Jesus lived the life you couldn't live and earned a place in heaven you could never earn.
Remember that the fact that Christ earned heaven for us is never an excuse for us to live shoddy or careless Christian lives. In addition to gratitude, we must seek to walk in holiness as a response to the grace of God. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a comment i just wanted to see if I could post something!

    ReplyDelete