Saturday, April 23, 2016

He Will Do It April 23 Readings: 1 Thessalonians 5


Context

This passage concludes the book of 1 Thessalonians with several powerful teachings. It begins with a section about the "day of the Lord" - a general reference to the end times. Because we do not know when the Lord is coming, we are admonished always to be ready.

The final section contains a rapid-fire series of commands from Paul to the church, containing many brief but powerful teachings. Verses 16-19 are especially memorable.

The closing benediction in verse 23-24 is a powerful reminder of the goodness of God.

Devotional - He Will Do It 

This is a moment of confession. I forgot about this devotional. I'm in Ohio and my daughter is getting married today. I was about to go to bed and realized I hadn't done this. So, let me just ask you to read the passage on your own.

All I will give you is a reminder of one verse, often ignored. In the benediction that closes the book, Paul wishes great blessings on the church (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24). In verse 23, he prays his blessing.
Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
That is a big prayer. "Sanctified completely." Not just part but "your whole spirit and soul and body" kept blameless. That's hard. 

But the good news is that God did not leave you to work this up on your own. No! Verse 24 is incredibly comforting. 
He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it. 
It is not your might and power that gets the job done, my friend, but his. What he demands he provides What he calls you to do he empowers you to do. He is faithful!

Thank you, Father, for you power that strengthens me to do what you have called me to do and sanctifies me to make me blameless in your eyes. 

Think and Pray

Give thanks to God for his provision of power and grace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment