Monday, September 14, 2015

Why Bother? September 14, Readings: Isaiah 40, 1 Corinthians 15:1–34, Psalm 106:6–12, Proverbs 22:28–29

Links to Today's Readings

  • Why should I bother? 
  • Why should I resist temptation? Sometimes sin is so appealing - it would be so much fun. And saying no to my flesh is so hard. Why should I bother? 
  • Sometimes, people treat me badly. Why do I have to return good for evil, forgive them and seek to love even my enemies? That is really difficult. I want to lash out, strike back, give insult for insult. Why do I have to do what the Bible says? Why should I bother? 
  • When things are hard and the road is difficult, why do I have to keep going? Through discouragement, through opposition, when I want to give up, why shouldn't I just give in? Why should I bother? 
  • The Bible tells me I have to humble myself, deny myself, die to myself. Why do I have to do that? Why should I bother? 
The answer to all of these questions is found in 1 Corinthians 15, which tells us that there is something beyond this world. If this world was all that there was, if there is no resurrection, no heaven, no eternity, then why bother with the struggle of the Christian life, with saying no to my own desires and seeking to overcome them by the Spirit's power? Paul makes this clear in verse 19. 
If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied. 
Yes, there are blessings that are ours in Christ in this world - it is a joy to serve Jesus. But the foundation of our faith is the truth that this world is simply a preparation for eternity. We store up treasures in heaven instead of on earth because of eternity. We resist sin and seek righteousness because it pleases the God who rules eternally. We willingly suffer here on earth because of the crowns we will receive in glory.

The resurrection of Jesus Christ proves many things. It proves that the sacrifice he made was enough, and that sin and death were defeated. But it also opened the door to eternal life for all who believe. We live because Jesus lives. Death cannot hold us because it did not hold him.

And the only wise life we can live today is one that prepares us for eternity - faith in Christ, obedience to him, walking the Spirit, missional living. Because Jesus rose from the dead, our suffering, our struggles and our service are all worth it, not only now but in all eternity.

Father, I long for your glory. When life is hard in this world, when people are cruel, when things are breaking my way, I long for your glory. I thank you that Jesus rose from the dead and that our hope is eternal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment