Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I Am Clay - August 19, Readings: Ecclesiastes 7-8, Romans 9:1–29, Psalm 97:1–7, Proverbs 20:24–25

Links to Today's Readings

Sometimes, I just need to remember who I am, and who God is. According to Romans 9:21 I am clay. God is the potter. The clay does not determine his own future, his own shape, or his own use. The Potter decides that. He shapes the clay according to his wishes. He molds it into what he wants it to be and then makes use of it according to his desires.

I am the clay. Too often, I try to determine my own shape or give advice and direction to the Potter on what he should do. Make me like this. Make me like that. Sometimes, I even act as if I can shape myself. Can you imagine that? Clay trying to mold itself, shape its own existence? It is ridiculous.

Romans 9 is a difficult passage with lots of heavy truths that theologians argue over and will continue to argue over as long as the Lord tarries. One devotional does not provide an opportunity to weigh in on these deeps truths. I'm not even going to try.

But I will remind myself and the reader of this conclusion. Be yourself! No, I'm not talking about being who you want to be or think you are or ought to be. Be yourself. You are clay. The only way that clay can become something useful or beautiful is if the master potter shapes it well. God is the potter, the one in charge, the one who shapes the destiny of the world according to his sovereign power.

I might as well rest in his hands and let my life be shaped for his glory. He is the Potter. He knows what I am supposed to be, where I am supposed to go, what shape my life should take. So, it is best if I just submit to his masterful hand and let my life be shaped by his will, for his glory, and according to his plan.

I'm clay. All I can do by trying to live for myself is make a big mess of my life. If my life is going to take shape and become a masterpiece of God's grace and glory, I must remember daily exactly what I am. Clay. In the hands of the Potter.

That is not a bad thing to be when the Potter is as skilled as our God!

Father, you are the Potter. Shape me. Make me what you want me to be. Help me to remember who I am, who you are, and trust your sovereign hand to shape my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment