Saturday, May 2, 2015

Betrayed - May 2 Readings: 1 Samuel 23-24, Luke 20:1–26, Psalm 55:12–18, Proverbs 12:5-6

Links to Today's Readings

David lived a life of hurt. He was a man after God's own heart and he suffered rejection and betrayal. Much of it was without cause - rooted in jealousy and bitterness. Some of it came as a consequence of his own sin. But David had much experience in being betrayed.

In Psalm 55:12-14, he laments the betrayal of one he considered a friend.
For it is not an enemy who taunts me—
    then I could bear it;
it is not an adversary who deals insolently with me—
    then I could hide from him.
But it is you, a man, my equal,
    my companion, my familiar friend.
We used to take sweet counsel together;
    within God's house we walked in the throng.

A man who worshiped with him, who was a friend, had betrayed him and attacked him. That had to hurt. We too often forget that the men and women of the Bible were not infused with superpowers. They were flesh and blood - real people with real pain. And when a friend betrayed David, he felt it every bit as much as you and I would. In fact, that is probably the greatest pain there is, to have a friend stab you in the back and try to bring you down. 

And, unfortunately, it happens to all of us at one time or another. Sometimes it is out of the blue and sometimes our own failings have given the person ammunition to use against us. But the pain is real either way. 

How do we handle this? What are we to do? We can learn a lot of from David's response. Yes, he was hurt, even angry, but he called out to God. He called for justice and for God to act. But he also said this, in verses 16-17. 
But I call to God,
    and the Lord will save me.
Evening and morning and at noon
    I utter my complaint and moan,
    and he hears my voice.

David couldn't let betrayal just bounce off of him. He groaned and he complained. But he groaned and complained to the gracious God who heard him and responded to rescue and protect him. 

Father, when I am injured, when I am hurt, help me to respond in your grace. May I call out to you and not seek vengeance. May I rely on your justice and rest in your mercy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment