Sunday, March 1, 2015

The False Humility of Doubt - March 1 Readings: Numbers 13-14, Mark 6:30–44, Psalm 31:1–4, Proverbs 7:13-20

Links to Today's Readings

There are two serious mistakes that we can make as we face life.  The first is to look at our own abilities, our own will-power, and our own resources as the source of our strength and hope.  Those who trust in themselves will end up regretting it.  That is why the Word tells us to trust in the Lord and not lean on our own understanding 

But there is another mistake that is common among us. We fail to trust in the power of God.  It is one thing to say, “I can’t do this on my own.”  That is recognition of spiritual reality and the beginning place of spiritual power. To admit my own weakness is wisdom and righteousness. But it is something entirely different to say, “Even with God’s power, I still cannot accomplish this task.”  That is an insult against the awesome power of God.

The Israelites had been taken out of Egypt by the mighty hand of God, gone to Sinai to receive the Law, and had wandered through the desert, finally winding up near the Promised Land. In Numbers 13, Moses gathered 12 spies, one from each tribe, to go in and scout out the land. They all came back with a similar report.  There were enemies in the land – formidable, difficult, challenging enemies who would have to be defeated. 

The facts were not in dispute, only the interpretation of the facts and the resulting action. The ten spies saw the enemies, despaired of faith and shrank back in fear. They simply did not believe that God could or would deliver them according to his promises. Joshua and Caleb had a different viewpoint. Yes there were powerful enemies throughout the land, but they trusted God to empower them to drive them out. 

No enemy, regardless of his strength, could stand against the power of God. 

Israel believed the lie, shrank back in fear and the men died in the desert while Israel wandered for forty years.

It is sinful folly to rely on our own power to accomplish the work of God, it is just as big a sin to fail to rely on God’s power. 

My enemies are strong but my God is stronger.
Father, forgive me for those times I have relied on myself. Forgive me also for those times that I have failed to rely on the resources you have given me through the Spirit who dwells in me.  I confess that Christ is my strength and power and in him I can do all you have called me to do. I believe. Help my unbelief!

No comments:

Post a Comment